Do you agree with the following statement, or think it's true, or do you find yourself doing it?

My grandma always told me "You spend the first 2 years of your child's life teaching them to walk and talk,and the next 18 years telling them to sit down and shut up." I didn't believe her at first, but then I found myself doing it with my children. Do you agree with that statement?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Heck yeah... I say this all the time... Its true blue to me... LOL
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Yes!

INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I had heard this also.... so I didn't teach my kids to walk and talk.....the little buggers learned anyway! lol
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 9:18 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• No thats horrible! I enjoy hearing my DD talk about everything! You have kids to enjoy them, before you know it they are grown up and dont need you anymore. My DS is autistic and doesnt really talk, just babbles, I'd give anything to hear him talk to me. I am an active mom, I enjoy doing stuff with my kids..we'll go out with my 13 yr old dd and play with her and her friends outside..play baseball, basketball, teach them new games, show them how to throw a ball etc. Watch "what dreams may come" with robin williams...you will learn to appreciate your children more, I know I did.
    lakegeorge_mom

Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 9:18 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• OP here. lakegeorge mom, I certainly didn't mean any offense. I'm glad your daughter is doing as well as she is. Please forgive me if I offended you in any way,that was never my intention. And, no I don't spend every waking moment telling them that. Of course not. I love hearing them talk,as well, but I think you get the idea of the statement. Once again,I never meant it to be offensive to anyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Nope, not true in our family (and not offensive either - I understand the humor behind it!). But I was prepared before my son was born that he would be strong and independent, so I accepted that he would be running and climbing when I would rather be sitting. I just make sure he gets enough running done before it is time to sit, and then he's generally more than happy to, once his physical needs are met. Personally, I'm glad that he's a talker, too (2 1/2 hours non-stop Sunday night after getting home from his dad's) - gives me hope that he won't be like his dad whose communication skills are extremely lacking. So for us, not true and thankfully so.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Ita agree with this :) I LOVE talking with my kids. But MY mil always said you go through the terrible twos so that when you have to threaten their life as a teenager, you can actually mean it :) These lil sayings about raising kids offer us comic relief in our day and help us put it all in perspective. No one is really going to spend 18 years telling their kids to sit down and shut up... But figuratively speakin, lol it's right on target :)  Just like I am not actually going to kill my wonderful babies, lmao.  But I can see how the things a two year old gets into really stick with you and would certainly make great ammo in the following years.  I am sure my sons will tread lightly knowing I might share with strangers how they LOVED pooping on the floor as toddlers :P

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:33 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• LOL. I agree. Of course, I don't have to say it anymore since my children are 13 n 8. I was, also, told "when they are little they step on your toes and when they grow up they step on your heart". I agree with that statement. I knew my oldest was growing up but when I asked him for a kiss one day, he said "mom, we are in public." Kinda broke my heart.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I totally agree with you lakegeorge mom!

Both of my sons are autistic, and didn't really speak until they were 4 (now 7 and 5), so I definitely cherish what they say! Sure, there are times when I'd like for them to quiet down (LOL), but I still wouldn't have it any other way! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:48 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Hehe yes! I think it's because children learn how to talk before they have self control so you find them saying things they shouldn't repeat and just talking nonstop to anyone or anything that will listen. Obviously developmentally good, but it can get old fast for the parents :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Mar. 12, 2009