What is a little plant that 3rd and 4th graders can plant and keep alive???

Okay next month is earth day and for that I really want my class to plant their own little plants. The thing is that I live in Florida and dont know what would be a low maintence plant that they could plant and just water and it would grow. Something little that they could take home. Any suggestions would be great!!!! Thanks :0)

blkmom2

Asked by blkmom2 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Home & Garden

• a cactus lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• a peace lilly or arrow head vine......they are easy to water low maitnance and can be kept in doors with very low light they are hearty tolerant plants.....they can either water them from the top or put a saucer at the bottom with water in it and watch as the water dissapears as the roots drink it up...i have a room in my house full of house plants and my children love watching the flowers bloom and they love to water them an i find that the peace lilly is one of their favorites the blooms are much diffrent and are facinated by it
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 9:15 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• A philodendron is a good houseplant that is very easily to maintain. Just water, a mild amount of sun and pick the dead leaves off every once in a while. This is the only houseplant I've managed to keep alive for longer than a month.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 9:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Here's a good site to help you out!

http://www.howtodothings.com/home-garden/how-to-choose-plants-kids-will-love-to-grow-in-their-classroom-project

Perhaps you could buy several different types of "mystery" plants (flowers, herbs, veggies, etc.), and as they grow see if the class can fugure out what they will turn into and why!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My daughter's class all had disposible cups with faces drawn on them, they were filled with dirt and they planted grass seed in them, so when the grass came up they looked like they had hair, it was cute and easy for them to take home on the bus, they also liked the fact that they could give it a hair cut when it grew too big.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:18 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Dont they do the old school potato in water anymore????
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 9:21 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• The old Fashioned plant Nick named the Hospital plant! I'm unsure on its Scientific name! Or A Jade plant it can Grow for many, many Years!! Good Luck! Everything Grows with Love!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:32 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Ha! Good luck with that! LOL
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 10:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Hi, plants for the little ones,easy to care for: herbs or spider plants. Herbs are in sm. containers,lite watering sunlight 65% of the time and when you take it home, mom can use her herb the child has grown for cooking. Baby spider plants are so easy to grow. They light lots of sunlight, (not hot) and water twice a week. You can buy a big spider plant w/lots of babies and show the children how the babies will root themselves (leave them attached to the mom plant) and put little pots w/dirt under the babies and the moisture in the dirt will make them growto the dirt and attached itself, or cut (babies) and put in jars w/water and watch them grow roots to plant.
    Good Luck, have fun gardening.
    catchesthewind

Answer by catchesthewind at 10:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• my son had a marigold. vafter it had bloomed, enjoy it and then replant the seeds, u will have a marigold plant for yrs, just by replanting the seeds.

babygirlpj2007

Answer by babygirlpj2007 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 12, 2009