WHAT IS THE REAL AGE WOMEN SHOULD STOP HAVING CHILDREN? I WANT ANOTHER CHILD BUT, IM 40 ..

engaged35

Asked by engaged35 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• When your body no longer supports getting pregnant. So menopause. My Mom was 41 when I was born and I don't regret being born for a second. I will say however that I am glad she had children before me so if she had died early I wouldn't be alone, but people die at all ages. Added bonus having me kept her young. She stayed up to date on things and I felt like my Mom knew so much more about the world because she was older. Now, at 76 years old and me 33 she is a bit more of a grandma figure but I am ok with that. She will say herself that when she had her first two kids at twenty she swore she'd never have kids past thirty. When she had her 3rd in her 30's she says if she could back she wouldn't have started until thirty.
    Anonymous

• I don't think there is a "real age". Everyone is different. Personally, I didn't want to have any babies past the age of 35, but that's just me, and I had alot of complications with my second pregnancy so I had my tubes tied. There are increased risks for Downs, diabetes and other issues for women who give birth after 35, but that certainly doesn't mean that it's like that for everyone. My good friend just had her 4th baby in January and she's 40, and all 4 of her babies were perfectly healthy. I think if your doctor says you're healthy, then why not?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2008

• I agree with everyone else, as long as you are healthy and want to have children why not!
    Debrex

Answer by Debrex at 1:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2008

• Well - I felt I am a good one to answer this question!!! I will be 45 next month and I am pregnant with my 4th child!!! I married a younger man who had no children three years ago - and I had one child for him almost two years ago at 43 and I am now pregnant with our second one together. Both of my pregnancies have been healthy and uneventful (no problems). The first one I had an amnio this one I opted out of the amnio. My 19 month old son (whom I did breastfeed for 9 months) is healthy, happy, growing beautifully, and developmentally on target. The one I am carrying now -- everything is A-OK!!! So there you have it -- 45 and still going strong!!!
    Myboysmom08

Answer by Myboysmom08 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2008

• Honestly I think its when you feel your body is ready to stop. I am 23, my sister 19 and my mom is 43, she now has a 5 year, a 2 year and a baby on the way that is due in January. So honestly I think it depends on you. If you feel you are healthly enough and your body can handle being pregnant, then do what is best for you and makes you happy!
    usafr413

Answer by usafr413 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2008

• I have five kids and I had my last two at 39 and 40. The only concern I have is being around for as long as they need me. You need to consider the fact that it is likely they will lose you some time in their 40's. Grown but still young to be without your parent. I love my boys they keep me young, but I do feel sad at the thought that I will most likely not live to see them much past their 30's or 40's. Just something to consider.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2008

• My parents were both 22 when they had me and my Dad died when I was 33, so I was young with one parent deceased. I don't think how long you THINK you are going to live should be a factor at all in deciding whether or not to have a baby. It's about the quality of life, not the quanitity IMHO athough both are ideal.

If you're healthy and your doc says it's OK, go for it!
    tenaciousdee76

Answer by tenaciousdee76 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2008

• Thank you,your anwers have made me feel so much better. I started at 18 and my eldest is 22,my second is18 and third 10 i have so much love to give and god knows that. I feel so tired lately, cranky thinking i may be spreading joy again.LOL however at 40 what will people think i really don't care but after reading what you all wrote thank you. My fiance actaully referred me to this site. I hope you have a great day. I will know on Tuesday. If I am I will surprise him on our cruise next week. LOL If not then..God has a plan for us all.. thank you all again....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Aug. 16, 2008

• I am 39 n i had my 4 th girl 9 mths ago,shes as healthy as can b,but my labour was really difficult i even had csection for the first time.i wanted one more but i wil b 40 october :(
    Motherisum4

Answer by Motherisum4 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2013