What do you think about baby harnesses

My son is 10 months old and walking all over the place. He's tiny and everyone always comments how adorable it is. Well this weekend there will be a festival in town and I'd like for us to go. I assume he will want to walk around and will struggle to not be held the whole time. Since it will be really crowded I was thinking about getting a backpack leash for him and allow him to walk in the safer open areas. I will also bring a sling for when he tires out. What do you think about harnesses in this situation?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it's a good idea. I used one for my son during our twice annual city art fairs when he was a toddler and it was great. He had the freedom to explore but was still safely within arms reach. I never had to worry about him running off unexpectedly. I know some people think they are a tool for irresponsible parenting but I don't agree. I think they are great.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 10:20 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think its a good idea. I used to HATE them...but that was before I had kids..lol
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 10:21 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think they are great:-) As a former mother of toddlers:-) I used the heck out of my front pack and then I had a nice back pack and would have loved a leash for my older child--fortunately, my daughter helped keep the middle child corralled:-) They were each two years apart. But get the leash and enjoy knowing you are giving the little one a chance to explore in safety:-) I really never cared for strollers because I think they were restrictive---at least the back pack the kid was able to see more from an "adult" level:-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I hate them. JMO. I think it makes your child like a pet. If you can't watch him while he walks then don't go. Again, JMO.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• As stated above, I highly recommend a nice back pack and a leash--great combination!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I used harnesses in open places that were worrisome for my three kids. They are now between teens and midtwenties. BECAUSE NONE OF THEM WERE TIED TO CHAIRS OR IN TIED IN CARS OR TIED IN BED WITH THEM THEY WERE NOT HARMED BY HARNESSES. They knew the harnesses meant they didn't have to hold mommy's hand, it gave them more freedom and they loved it. More moms do not like them because they think harnesses of any kind make the child look like he's on a dog leash and he's a dog. Is the child treated like a dog other times? Which is most important looking good in a crowd of unknowns or safety in a crowd of unknowns?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I used one for both my boys. Don't let anyone tell you it is a bad idea! It is far worse for your chid to become separated from you, get run over or abducted. I had lots of older people tell me they wished they would have had such a thing. One dear old soul said, "Uh, I could have just tied a little rope around his suspenders!"
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:26 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• For one child, I've always preferred the Hold Hands or Be Held option - he gets the choice of holding your hand or you holding him - this gives him personal choice and control over the situation and allows you to maintain physical contact (good for bonding as well as sense of security). Harnesses work great if you have a child that cannot be physically controlled or if you have more than one child. But IMO, not the best choice for one child, especially if two parents are available to switch off on maintaining physical contact.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• lol---well, if more people had to raise a well mannered dog BEFORE having a child, we would have a lot better parents:-) I think in the situation you are talking about, they are a good idea. Just to go to the store, not really--UNLESS you have other little ones to keep track of:-) Good grief, it sounds like you are a good mom and I don't see you tying the little one up out in the yard with it:-)))))
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i think it caused an uproar not long ago on here and you should prepare to get bashed.

i say do it. i needed one for my son. walking at 10 months also. ran top speed as soon as he figured out how. if he is also one to like the independence already then get one so he dont cry from being in a stroller all day. just make sure nobody steps on him. 10 months looks so tiny to be walking and a lot of people dont look down : )
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 12, 2009