PLEASE RESPECT OPINIONS OR DON"T ANSWER!! If your kids had the First Holy Communio Bat Mitzvahs or Bar Mitzvahs or similar accomplishments in other religions,

did it make a difference in their lives? If they did not attend religious services or classes do you think they are worse off than if they had attended? Are your children in religious classes because they believe it's important or because you tell them they have to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it's different for all children. My brother and I did the whole CCD thing, and I did communion. I liked Mass and CCD, my brother, on the other had, would have rather been caned than go to church. I was rasied Catholic, but I don't go to mass anymore, or church of any kind. I still have a very strong faith though.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:48 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Hi Zakysmommy I'm the original poster. I have a very strong faith myself and don't go anymore because I'm having trouble finding a parish that practices what it says instead of just preaching selfrespect and understanding between its' members and society not just specific organizaitons or ways of life. Why don't you go any more, of all of the moms I've talked to every one else still attend church as an adult. They couldn't live without it in their lives as adults. I'm surprised to see some one like me. My brother I think was Confirmed, I was. He refuses to go to church and I'd love to go but comfort of teachings is so important to me. My mother still to this day believes basically I am damned to hell because I'm searching. I know in hell I will not reside and neither will my children. Obviously she's not practicing the tolerance and understanding her church supposedly practices.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Well there are a few reasons I dont' go to church. One, is I haven't found one I like lol. I was going to a unity church a long time ago, but it was quite a drive. Also I dont' believe that I need Church to have a relationship with God. For some people Church is a comfort and tha'ts great, but it isn't for me so much. That and I have very "different" views than any church would preach lol. I don't do the whole "hellfire and brimestone" speech. I don't subscribe to the "we are all sinners" speech. I dont' believe that Non-Christians are dammed.
    My relationship with God is a very personal one, and a very strong one. I dont' need a book or a church for that. :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:10 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think it depends on what they have been brought up to believe. If it's not important to you, it's probably not going to mean that much to them.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 12, 2009