Husband vs Father

My DH put down a pergo floor for my Dad in his dining, kitchen and hallway. It took him about 2 and a half days. Putting aside 2 days that he could be working and a 1/2 a day on Sunday. They never talked about a price to put the floor down, we just thought that my Dad would offer a fair amount. NOPE!!! not to mention it cost my DH $50 for a new saw blade, or that his girlfriend is such a B@#%H that we are not even welcome in his home after a falling out 2years ago. My DH put that aside and out the floor down anyways. My question is how do I bring this up to my Dad??? DH says to let it go but I cant b/c this is not the 1st times this is happened!! I need to say something but what and how. Please help its's been driving me crazy for a few days now. Not to mention that I'm due in May and we could use extra money comming in, not 2 days w/o any. Sorry so long

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 11:00 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I REALLY HATE TO SAY THIS.. BUT YOUR DH IS RIGHT! Nothing you say or do will affect your dad, & may only make things worst. I know, I have a dad that thinks I owe him. I'm still not sure what he did for me, but to bring me into this world. I've bent over backwards to dothings for him &
    nothing I do is right. It sounds to me, your dad's like mine. NOTHING you EVER DO, WILL BE ENOUGH. The best advice I can give you, is it will come back to you, when YOU REALLY need something. My grandfather always said, "what comes around, goes around." Meaning, do it because he's your father, & when YOU'RE in need, SOMEONE WILL BE THERE for you. TRUST ME, it happens just when you are about to give up & there's NOTHING to help you! God sends angels, when we aren't expecting it. Let go & Let God take care of it. Sorry, but that's the ONLY way I know how to explain it! Good Luck.
    TamiG310

Answer by TamiG310 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You cannot bring this up to your dad without causing problems, and it would be disrespectful to your husband to do it after he has asked you not to. I would just avoid your dad.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:03 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think you should have negotiated the terms before he did the work. Your dad probably has no idea you are seething mad, perhaps he thought your DH was doing this to help him and thinks the $50 was a generous token, and will probably be blind-sided by any attack. I think its too late. Seems there was a miscommunication, your Dad thought your DH was helping out his FIL, and your DH thought your dad was hiring him...2 different things. Sorry. And PS, the girlfriend issue shouldn't be brought up, it has nothing to do with this situation.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:05 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Oh baby.

Without having negotiated a price, that's so hard to do.

You need get a professional looking invoice, and then figure out a fair price, break it down and type it up.

It might help to call around and see what other people are charging?

I am so sorry.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:05 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• He is your father! Why would you charge him anything in the first place? These are the things family does for eachother. As long as he paid for the supplies I'd call it even.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• These things should be negotiated BEFORE it's done and causes problems.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:54 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I agree with Chrissy....
    Your dad put a roof over your head when you were growing up, I am sure..
    Let it go...I would never charge my dad not even for supplies..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2009