What do you think of the VA issued pentacle headstones that are for fallen soliders?

pnwmom

Asked by pnwmom at 11:10 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Everyone of those men and women in the Military are fighting for those Freedoms that we all hold near and dear to ourselves and some of those same men and women pay for those Freedoms with their lives...
    And one of those Freedoms is "Religion" and I think that if a Cross can be placed on a Christian Soliders headstone, a Star of David on a Jewish Solider then a Pentacle should be (without critizasim or judgement) be allowed on a Pagans headstone...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:19 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I see no problem with it, they are federal buriel grounds, if a sign of the cross is allowed, if the Star of David is allowed, then a Pentacle should be allowed.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:13 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• its about time, the VA has 38 religious symbols that are used. The pagans and wiccans should have been added a long time ago.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• If I am not mistaken the pagans were once fierce warriors and to deny a fellow warrior their right of passage just to save face would have been discriminaition.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I'm glad they finally have done it.. everyone should be able to follow their religion freely, even in death in their memory.

I know after gettting hit by a drunk driver, me and SO actually wrote out our wills, because of our DD, we wanted to make sure our arrangements were taken care of.. Although they vary drastically in what we wish for our funerals. Him being a Christian, and me and Atheist. And I would be a little upset if someone couldn't respect my memory to do me the honor of following what I wish in my will.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:22 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It's about time! There were several guys serving with my husband who were angry because the pentacle was not allowed, they were Wiccan/Pagan.

These men are serving to protect our freedom of religion, ALL religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• good! its sad that its taken this long. what are the other 38 symbols? i know cross, star of David, & the Islam symbol (i dont know what its called). what are the others?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:35 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Good for them.

It should be about what honors that particular soldier not what some fundie twits think is acceptable.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:43 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• On April 23, 2007 the Wiccan pentacle is officially added to the Veterans Admin's list of  approved emblems for memmorials, markers, and gravestones...

It is ashame thou that even thou it is on the approved list, it is still mocked, judged and frowned upon...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:44 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i agree it's about time
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 12, 2009