Will he be left handed?

My son is 9 months old and whenever he eats, he picks up his food with his left hand. Also, whenever I give him a cracker and put it in his right hand, he switches it. Is he too young to determine which hand he'll use?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is still too young. You won't be able to tell for another year or so. He may end up being left handed, but there is no way to know now.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• He's probably still too young. Having said that, I have 1 left handed child & 1 right handed. There was a HUGE difference when they were young toddlers. My daughter who is 2.5 y/o, has been holding her crayons in her right hand & ONLY her right hand, since she was about a year old. She eats right handed, pretty much does everything right handed, except suck her thumb. She sucks her left thumb. When my 8 y/o son was a toddler, he didn't have a preference for either hand. Whatever hand was closest to the crayon, was the hand he colored with. He did that until he was about 3.5. Austin seemed to use both about the same. We did start to notice tho, he'd pick up balls to throw, with his left hand & other things, you could tell it was his dominant hand. cont....

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• continued... when he was 3.5, since we could tell that left was more dominant than right. He started using it more than his right hand. That's what he stick with, if you ask him about it now. He can still write right handed, and can't tell any difference between the hand-writings. But he says the pencil is more comfortable in his left hand. My husbands grandfather was ambidextrous, my husband and myself are both left handed. My mom has told me many times that y brothers were easy to tell  that they were right handed...me not so much. Wait it out...it won't be too long and you'll know for sure.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• About 2 or 3 is when children really start showing a preference. I am left handed, and according to my father, did things with both also. My son only ever used his right hand..period. But this boy that I used to do daycare for would use his left, however, at around 3 he started using his right hand to color with. Now that he is nearly 8, he is still stuck on his right hand. He may very well be a lefty, but he may also be a righty. He could also be ambidextrous. My daughter now uses both, but will show a preference for her right majority of the time. She is only 13 months, so we still have some time before we know for sure. My nephew colors left handed, but eats with his right hand. And he throws right handed, but will hold things in his left. He is two.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• There's no way to tell at this point.
    Babies and young toddlers frequently switch which hand they prefer. In the late 2's or in the 3's, he may start to show a preference. But some kids switch several times after that, not picking a hand to use until 6 or even 7.

My daughter seems to be left-dominant. She leads with her left foot, reaches with her left hand, holds paper towel roll "telescopes" up to her left eye. I'm encouraging (not forcing!!!!) her to hold crayons and paint brushes in her right hand simply because life is easier for right-handed writers. But if she prefers using her left - so be it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I can tell u that my second son.. now 4.. has been left handed since birth. He sucks his thumb and has since 3 weeks old. never once has he tried to suck the right one. he colors, feeds himself, cuts.. everything with his left. I know statisically, you're not suppose to be able to tell until they are 2 or 3, but in my case I knew immediately. So to answer your question, I dont think it's too early. You know ur child best, so it's totally possible to know now.
    fbic72

Answer by fbic72 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009