why????

what would make a 9 yr old girl maliciously slap another girl in the face to make her not do something?and is this learned behavior???is it nurture or nature??i would say nuture???(skinner)for all you early childhood ed majors...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, what was the act that she slapped her for?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I would say she learned it from someone. Maybe that is how her mother punishes her, or the child's parents treat each other that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• If a child slaps another child in the face, ONLY to keep that child from doing something: i say her parents or guardians show her that that is what you do. Children are NOT inherently violent. It is a learned behavior.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:22 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Kids naturally shove, push, and even kick - but SLAP?

That's parroting an adult - who's watched too many soap operas!

I feel badly for both girls - but mostly for the slappee.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:25 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have daughters (twins) and I swear they'd slap and push in the womb. They were slapping each others face when they were less than a year old. One was worse than the other. It could be either one, some people's temperment are more likely to physically fight and some learn it, I think or it is a combo... Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• ya i agree i remember my brother and i having some knock down drag outs.and almost killing each other...but i never slapped another girl especially at that age..and when i got older i remember having some fights but they were fist fights like the boys.(with my best friend)we were always friends but...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't concentrate on why or where she learned this behavior, I would concentrate on teaching her that it's unacceptable. This is why I NEVER spank my daughter. You can't teach a kid not to hit someone when you hit them.....
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• well it wasnt my daughter who did the hitting it was another girl who hit my daughter...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I wasn't an early education major, but a counseling psychology major, and don't believe nature plays a very big role in behavior (though I'm not saying none). I think nurture plays a bigger role. This is probably a learned behavior.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 13, 2009