Trimming dog nails..??

Everytime I trim my dogs nails (pug) they don't seem like they are getting any smoother.. They still really dig into my skin eveytime he jumps up onto my lap. How short are you supposed to trim them? I know in some dogs you can see the "quick" *if thats what its called* But I can't see it in my puppies nails, and I don't want to hurt him.. help please?

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Pets

• At targe they have the dog pedicure thing that does their nails exactly right....its like between 20 and 40 bucks or something ITS A GREAT INVESTMENT or you can take the pug to the vet and the vet will do it and file them so they wont be so sharp you have to be very careful with nails because you can really injure them and someimes if its done the wrong way they can get an infection
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 11:19 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• AT TARGET LOL NOT TARGE....
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 11:20 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• After you trim them it is best to walk them about thirty mins on concrete. When you trim your nails, you have to file them right? Walking on the concrete after trimming will smooth them so they are not so rough. Good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:32 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Thank you, I would love to take my dog for a good walk like that! But it gets too cold still where I am living! He gets tired very easily too, and I then have to carry him LOL!! But I will be doing a lot of walking with him come spring!! Thanks a lot you guys!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Yeah, walk or get the Pedi-Paws. We got a Pedi-Paws from Walgreens and our dogs love it, actually. It takes longer, but they seem more comfortable with it. And you can make their nails rounded and smooth with it. No bleeding, either.
    AngelaSue1979

Answer by AngelaSue1979 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• take them to your vet they usually will trim them and then you can ask them.
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 4:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I second both the pedi-paws (if you have the money for it) and the walk after the trim.

Chloe, my little house dog, also has sharp nails. But after they're trimmed, we let her out to play with the big dogs for a few hours for the first few days. (She's only 7lbs, and we live in the country with hawks, owls, buzzards, coyotes, etc... all things that can "get" her) This tends to do the trick.

The big dogs, who spend the majority of their time outdoors, (their own preference) don't have to have their nails trimmed because their outdoor activity keeps them down.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My little puppie done that after cutting nails and i got sand paper and put it on leg and got food and he jumped up on the paper and filed his on nails!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Mar. 13, 2009