Is 16 months too early to teach to go potty?

I"m trying to potty train my DD and have no idea what i'm doing other than giving her drinks and sitting her on the potty every 20 mins or so.... Is it too early to train her? and if not any advice?

MollyDB

Asked by MollyDB at 11:22 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope, one of my girls was trained then, unexpectedly and I had not gotten her the toilet seat adpater yet and she fell in the toilet. Well, that was all over w/ until she was 3. And she would not use the baby potty, she insisted on the big potty.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:25 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I dont think its to early to. but i wouldnt make her drink things just to sit her on the potty. when every you have to go, take her with you, and talk to her and explain what your doing. take her in ther about a half hour after every meal and sit her on the potty to see if she has to go. and always ask her if she has to go same for everytime she drinks. She may not understand what your doing yet, but when she is ready to use the potty she will. it may take a while of you doing this before she gets it. But give her time and be patient with her.
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My daughter is 17 months. I bought her a potty, I don't force it I just introduced it to her. And she has gone pee in in twice in the last month. Just be patient
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 11:42 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• No. You're on the right track. Just keep taking her and hoping for that first accidental pee! Just don't expect her to tell you that she needs to go for months and months. That applies no matter how old the child - once the excitment wears off, she'll quickly learn that telling you she has to go or answering "yes" if you ask means she has to stop playing and leave her toys. So she will fight off the urge as long as possible so she can keep playing and she'll tell you "no" because that's what she wishes were true. The "Don't ask, don't tell" rule applies for potty training... don't ask her, don't expect her to tell you... simply tell her it is time to go and take her. Do this until she starts going down the hall to the bathroom all on her own without telling you about it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Potty Train By 2!

cuddlemonkeez

Answer by cuddlemonkeez at 1:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009