what can my friend do about potty training

my friend has a daughter who is turning 4 in 1 week. she isn't potty trained and my friend is at her witts end. what can she do?

velazquez1029

Asked by velazquez1029 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well I know that every child potty trains at a different rate, my daughter wouldnt use the little pottys that you keep on the floor, we got her the little insert seats for the big toilet and after a few weeks she was good to go. Amazingly she hasnt even had an accident at night in her big girl panties...I know that letting her run around naked helped too, she didnt have the diaper to go in and after peeing on her feet once she decided the potty was a much better choice.
    KaylaBeansMommy

Answer by KaylaBeansMommy at 1:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• She also needs to make sure the little girl is responsible for cleaning up any messes. While it might be fun to "clean like mommy" the first couple of times, it gets boring fast and she will quickly decide that of her choices, using the potty is easiest and quickest.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Well... Potty training has to literally become and event .
    Every morning mommy/daddy must put child on toilet same time every day, when child has a movement she should be rewarded with hugs, kisses, dancing, even allow child to sit on toilet with books or toys to avoid them becoming impatient. This will encourage child to practice this behavior more often, however everyday child must be placed on toilet same time everyday consistently!
    When child does other wise, time-out is a good way to send the " unexceptable behavior" message. Never send message to child that bodily movements are bad, stinky or nasty- they will become discouraged with telling you when they have to go.

I started potty training at 14 months. my daughter is 3 and willingly goes to the toilet on her own.

If child has a busy outside of home schedule it will be harder, but parents should take full responsibility for child's habits.
    Ninnny

Answer by Ninnny at 5:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Holy moly I understand!
    My 3 yo daughter would NOT go potty. We tried EVERYTHING. Different potty seats, rewards (candy, stickers, etc.) the "naked baby" approach, train whistles, videos, books, so much encouragement, putting a potty in the living room and letting her watch cartoons while she was trying....EVERYTHING!
    And what we found was that she didnt like ANY kind of potty assistance device. She liked to sit on the potty and hold herself up, and it helped when we were out with kids of her age who were also potty training, kinda like peer pressure.
    Once she actually started willingly going on the potty we started giving her skittles-- one for pee pee and two for poo poo........and, it worked! She actually learned so fast once she reached that place that she trained faster than he cousin who had been training for months! One additional thing, time out seemed to make her more upset....I dont recommend it.
    Good luck!
    haileys-mama

Answer by haileys-mama at 11:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I meant, time out during potty time. It only seemed to escalate her refusal, and you definately dont want potty to turn into something negative, but you also cant let them get away with murder.....

such a fine line! :)
    haileys-mama

Answer by haileys-mama at 11:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2009