What if she never sleeps again? Ugghhh

My 22 month old has always been good about going right back to sleep when she wakes in the middle of the night. For the past 3 weeks now she wakes up screaming and insists on being picked up every 2 hours. I am exhausted. She goes to bed around 8:00 each night and has a 2 hour nap from 12-2 each afternoon.

I've tried giving her motrin before bed and this hasn't had any affect on her. I don't know if I should make an appointment with her doctor or just wait it out. My husband is now bringing her to bed with us when she starts screaming. Ugh!

Any advice?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it never hurts to have her checked out by a physician but it seems like she finds comfort with you and dad in bed. Maybe she is just lonely and wants to feel the love with you two. I think our children slept with us until they were all crowding us off the bed and we had to put a stop to it!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:35 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Oh boy, been there done that. Usually at that age, my kids started getting nightmares, and that's why they would wake up. Is she awake when she's screaming, or is she still sleeping? If she's still sleeping, then let the dream play out. It's hard, but it's the best thing for them, night terrors do that. They appear to be awake and are screaming, but they are actually still asleep. With night terrors if you wake a child up during, then when they do go back to sleep they keep having the same night terror.
    It takes consistancy. AND alot of caffine for you during the day lol. My kids both outgrew this phase, with little time spent in our bed lol. Best of luck and I feel for ya Momma
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:33 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• wore comes to worse melatonin and chamomile are safe. My son take them after his neuro advised us to use them for his insomnia. Of course his problems are much worse.
    nycte

Answer by nycte at 1:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• doctor. My dd did it for two days and I took her to doc. she had an ear infection. If it's completely abnormal, definatly get it checked out.
    Anonymous

• I'd call the pedi to rule out an ear infection. Has she gotten her 2 yr molars yet? That could be it too. If it turns out to be neither, just try going to her, laying her back down and rubbing her back. It can be a phase and you probably don't want to start the habit of bringing her in bed with you when she wakes. Good luck
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2009