Can you still be friends with your Ex?

Me and my boyfriend broke up about a week ago. I am pretty much glad that it's over cause we argued all the time. But, how long should you wait before you become friends?....(I can be his friend only...but, not sure if he can in the long run)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• IMO...You can not be friends with your EX. In social situations you can be nice to your EX but not friends.

Answer by louise2 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think you can be anything you want to be as long as both agree as to what you are to
    eachother..I have boyfriends that I have as friends...they even come to me for advice..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I am he is one of my best friends. Just depends on the person, I think!
    Alwaysacarnie

Answer by Alwaysacarnie at 12:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I am friends with my first love. We dated for almost 2 years in high school. We are now best friends. I think it's possible to be good friends. My husband is okay with it as long as we aren't hanging out alone. I can understand where he is coming from. We email all the time and talk on the phone. I am able to help him with girl problems and before my husband, he would help me with guy problems. There isn't anything romantic about our friendship. We never slept together though. We did a lot of things but there was never any sex. Maybe that's why it's okay. It has also been 10 years since we dated. We didn't speak to each other for over a year.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• HELL NO!!!!!! But dating someone is a far cry different than being married to an asshole for 18yrs. Sometimes too much water has passed under the bridge. Him dropping dead would suit me just fine!!!
    foofoomommy

Answer by foofoomommy at 12:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Yeah I think its possible. Me and my boyfriend just broke up recently too and I didn't talk to him for 2 weeks until one night he called me drunk asking to pick him up from a party cuz he got in a fight. I did and we're jus strictly friends and nothing more and he understands why. Thats my opinion though but I think its possible.
    Native_Mommy253

Answer by Native_Mommy253 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Me and my ex husband are friends. We actually get along better than we did when we were married. So it is possible. You and him just have to make it possible.
    foreveryours66

Answer by foreveryours66 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• you could.. just set the cards out in front of him and let him know that friends are friends.
    YObando

Answer by YObando at 12:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My ex husband and I are friends. We've been divorced for 3 yrs now. We don't hang out or anything like that but we can chit chat and not be idiots to each other. I call him my friend :)
    Anonymous

• I have a male friend who is friends with all his ex-girlfriends. But with his ex-wife, she hates him and he still wants to be friends. It depends on how much hate the person has for you or how much hate you have for the person. Once the hate is gone on both sides, you can be friends.

Good Luck
    SufiMajik

Answer by SufiMajik at 1:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009