Do you think Steele will last as RNC chairman?

He was asked his views on abortion in an interview and stated it was an individual choice. Then he backpedaled and said RvW was wrong legally and should be overturned and abortion should be up to the individual states.

I realize that the latter is the basic Rep belief but he seems confused to me.

Friday

Asked by Friday at 12:18 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• L: How much of your pro-life stance, for you, is informed not just by your catholic faith, but by the fact that you were adopted?

M: Oh, a lot. Absolutely. I see the power of life in that. I mean, and the power of choice! The thing to keep in mind about it, uh, you know, I think as a country we get off on these misguided conversations that throw around terms that really misrepresent truth.

L: Explain that.

M: The choice issue cuts two ways. You can choose life or you can choose abortion. You know, my mother chose life. So, you know, I think the power of the argument of choice boils down to stating a case for one or the other.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• L: Are you saying you think women have the right to choose abortion?

M: Yeah. I mean, again, I think that's an individual choice. 

L: You do?

M: Yeah. Absolutely.

L: Are you saying you don't want to overturn Roe v. Wade?

M: I think Roe v. Wade--as a legal matter, Roe v. Wade was a wrongly decided matter.

L: Okay, but if you overturn Roe v. Wade, how do women have the choice you just said they should have?

M: The states should make that choice: that's what the choice is. The individual choice rests in the states. Let them decide.

Friday

• Reminds me of another politician currently in office.
    Anonymous

• States already decide.
    Anonymous

• who cares about what a republican says about that.
    Anonymous

• I watched this. He didn't back peddle. He stated his personal view then said roe v wade was legally wrong, based on the Const, and that this shouldn't be a matter for federal rather state gov. Meaning keep Big government out of it. That at is how i took it.
    dancenmomi

Answer by dancenmomi at 1:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• btw, i am not say'n i agree with Steele. Just that i didn't see it as back peddling
    dancenmomi

Answer by dancenmomi at 1:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• who cares about what a republican says about that (well we are still Americans so we still get a say, are you Nancy Pelosi? I'd be ashamed to show my face, too!)

OOOH so witty- is this supposed to be an actual point? I agree with him, Roe V Wade has no place in the fed. Government.

Not all Pubs are pro life. This is a common misconception, as is the Dem tree hugging analogy.
    If you put two pro choice candidates up for pres, do you think Pubs just wouldn't vote?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:35 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think the GOP wanted to show that all they need is a black man in charge of the RNC to show they aren't really a bunch of racists. Kind of like the "I'm not racist, some of my best friends are black"..They tried to be diverse with Sarah Palin to attract women..They tried to have another type of minority with Bobby Jindal. I think it sucks that Michael Steele is such a scapegoat, but the worst thing he could have done was apologize to Rush Limbaugh. I think he sealed his fate with that. It showed a sign of groveling weakness.
    Anonymous

• Anon...you all act as if Steele is the first man to hold any sort of seat, title or possition in the GOP...do a little research won't you?
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2009