How to prepare for baby #2, when baby #1 is only a year old?

My daughter will be 14 months on March 16th, and we just found out a few weeks ago that we are expecting again, due in October. How do we start to prepare our daughter for the upcoming surprise arrival? And does anyone have any tips on managing 2 children that young? because the thought of it is a little over whelming at times.

nevaeHonEarth

Asked by nevaeHonEarth at 12:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• no answer for you because I only have 1 baby right now...but I like your screen name! ;-)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Funny...I'm planning on TTC when my DD is a year. From what I've heard its crazy at first but you get the hang of it. Of course I would plan on having mom or a friend over to tend the older child the first few weeks.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• PROZAC!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I have five children and each of them are 2-3 years apart. It can be very tough but it also can be quite manageable. The important thing I think is to prepare the older child. Let them be involved in all aspects of the pregnancy. There are some great books for small children preparing them for the arrival of the baby. My kids would do silly things like kiss my tummy goodnight and talk to the baby. The other thing that I think is super imprtant is working with the older child to get them to a higher level of independence ie: entertain their self, potty training, self soothing. That way once the baby is here they arent always having to wait for you to help them they can do alot of things by themselves. When they are always having to wait thats when they start getting upset at the new baby. One thing I did was fill a couple sippy cups up at night for my kids and let them get them out of the fridge if I was busy. Hope that helps!
    crazymamax5

Answer by crazymamax5 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i have 3 kids one right after another 'the stair steps' lol 4 3 n 2 and it isnt going to be as difficult as you think....give ur other daughter baby dolls to play with and teach her how to be easy and gentle with them and invovle her with ur pregnancy let her touch the belly tell her her baby bro or sis is in there and with her being so young she will most likely adjust to becoming a big sis just like that i was worried about my daughter to but she kinda acted like she wanted to be the mommy lol....the biggest thing i was worried about was how i was going to love the new baby like the first...and well you love ur children the same and just as much it is a diffrent love for each of them and even though its the second baby u will still be just as happy as the first but with an extra person to love :) if u know what i mean...i know this isnt really what u asked just thought i would share
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 12:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Another thought.....Once the baby is here its really important to designate tme that is just for the older child.
    crazymamax5

Answer by crazymamax5 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Mine ( 5 and 4 yr old twins, and a 3 year old) are close together. It's easy and hard. Its easy because you are still in "baby mode" its hard because its added work. You learn to plan ahead. You learn patience. The baby you already have isn't going to be jealous because she's too little for that emotion, and if you don't make a big deal about it she will never know the difference. The new baby will always be a part of her life.

Just relax and keep a positive outlook. The rest falls into place. Oh... and be prepared to answer the question " are they twins" no matter how different they look. I used to get asked if mine were triplets, even though the twins couldn't sit up yet, and the oldest was walking!
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 12:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My oldest celebrated his first birthday 3 weeks before my next was born. He reacted poorly no matter what I tried. The day I had the baby I was holding him letting him see and he shrieked in horror and started crying. He hated his new brother! He really wanted nothing to do with me for the first few weeks, lol.

He got over it and now they love each other (they are almost 5 and 6). My son reacted poorly because he was a jealous baby. He wanted me to himself.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Managin them wasn't too hard because they both still had naptimes. I scheduled them back and forth so I usually had one sleeping while the other was awake. As they got older, they slept at the same times. It was a nice break actually!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Talk to your child before hand.  Read childrens books which speak to them so they can understand (Berenstein Bears etc.) click here to see some http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom-20?node=18&page=9  Don't panic every time your older child approaches the baby (I made that mistake) and make sure you take one on one time with each child.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 1:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2009