Brothers gfirends parents :)

My brother is 16 -junior in high school and his gf is almost 18 and a senior. Her parents are total jerks! They are constantly telling her how much their family hates my little brother and nobody likes the way he treats her! He is like the best boyfriend a parent could ask for! When she asks them what they don't like they can never can come up with anything and say because ! We think it's because her mom got pregnant when she was 15 and doesn't want her too also! They now have started not only talking about my brother but about my whole family. They say that me and my husband are bad influences on her-I have only met these people ONE time and they were both totally wasted out of their minds! I really care for my brothers gf and I know this is taking its toll on both of them and i would really hate to see them break up because of her parents! Any advice on a way to get a handle on this before it turns any nastier?

brookelynn2609

Asked by brookelynn2609 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• stay out of it
    Anonymous

• I would talk to her parents myself! I'd confront them and ask them whats wrong with them being together? I mean you brother must be pretty mature for his age if he's with and older girl lol. I would try talking to them though and make them understand that theres nothing wrong with the two of them being together.
    Native_Mommy253

Answer by Native_Mommy253 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• He is 16. It's unlikely this relationship will last. If it does, he should think long and hard on whether or not he wants her parents as in-laws and possible grandparents to his children. If he was MY son and her parents where that bad, I would advise him to end the relationship.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Her parents were wasted?! As in drunk or on drugs? Wow! First, what parents consider acceptable may be different than what you believe is acceptable. My 13 y/o has a crush on a 16 y/o. It's mutual and has been on-going since my dd was 9. I like the boy. He actually scolded her in front of me once for not talking to me with respect. I really him. But they are not allowed to date. She may not date until she's 16. And she cannot date anyone 18 or older until she's 18. Period. (I sure hope this kid is still around when she turns 18!)
    Second, if her parents are into drugs, well, that is another matter. She needs to get out on her own the instant she gets out of high school. But not with your brother. No living with him or his relatives. She needs help if they are involved in something illegal.
    But short of that, she's their daughter, and they have a right to set their standards whether you agree or not. Sorry.
    mommy22miracles

Answer by mommy22miracles at 3:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• No they are not doing drugs but they drink alot. They are constantly telling her that she costs too much money for them and why can't she be like her sister (younger and very spoiled). I guess I am just pissed because my brother is very good to her and cares very much for her as does my family. My mom has thought about talking to them because they have also commented on her parenting skills. I guess it goes with the saying I don't believe you should throw stones when you live in a glass house ( i hope thats how it goes) :) Anyways I guess I just need to vent about it?!
    brookelynn2609

Answer by brookelynn2609 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009