weird question regarding baby's mouth/saliva

ever since i started feeding my son solids (he's 15 months now) i noticed from time to time that when he opens his mouth, some saliva squirts out from his lower side of his mouth. it's hard to explain and only happens once in a blue moon, but when it happens, it's like a very faint squirt of saliva - you can hardly notice it, but i guess i've noticed it since i'm his mom and i'm around him a lot. i forgot about it for a while, but today when he was crying very hard at the doctor's, it happened again when his mouth opened - a squirt of saliva hit my cheek. anyone else notice this on thier babies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• babys keep a lot of salavia in their mouth..it could be putting his tongue down against the bottom of his mouth creating air pushing out the salavia
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 12:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Sounds fine to me. My boys were both major droolers and even now at 27 mos sometimes one will open his mouth and a big pile of drool just comes out or if he's talking/eating, it goes flying.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Heck, every once in a while when I open my mouth, a little stream of spit shoots out. Like a fountain at Disney world. It's weird and doesn't happen alot, very rarely. And I can't do it on purpose.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• it's nothing to worry about and it will probably go away once he has all his teeth and his jaw grows a little.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Ya my lil brothers do this at each other all the time gross i know but boys will be boys. I think is just a natural thing that little boys learned how to do on command , its called gleeking lol. Run the tip of your tounge(omg i dont kow how to spell toung??) on that flap underneath the tounge and then press your tounge to the roof of your mouth. If that makes sense lol.
    cainesmama

Answer by cainesmama at 4:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Gleeking! I haven't thought of that in ages! LOL
    Ahem
    I wouldn't worry about it, it's merely a sign that the sublingual salivary gland is fully functional, further exacerbated by the stress of crying when the big scary man with the needle came at him.
    PeachMom329

Answer by PeachMom329 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• To the anonymous writer of the question:
    My child is 3 years. He aslo spits a little bit of saliva once in while when he eats. It is like a foutain with a parabolic shape. I am also a little concern about it. di you ever asked that to the doctor? or does anyone know an explanation of why this happens?
    Anonymous