is it safe to give my child peanut butter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd wait until 2 years old in case of a peanut allergy and when you give it to him make sure it's spread thin so it doesn't cause a choknig hazard.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It depends...age? Family history?

If over one and there is no family history of a peanut allergy then it should be okay, but always check with your pediatrician.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• oh my kids loved peanut butter at that age, still do
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My ped told me they recently upped the safe age for peanut butter to 3YO.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I give it to my 2 year old son. He loves pb&j sandwiches I dont put a lot on there and it is spread super thin.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My DD started getting it at 1, and she's fine. no allergies though in our family.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 1:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My DS is 17 months. I started giving it to him about 2 months ago. We have no family history of any food allergy and he hasn't displayed any problems with it.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Depends on your child and on family history of allergies. We are waiting until at least 2 because of a family history of food allergies and sensitivities (though none to peanuts). If there were a family history of peanut allergy, we would wait longer, until at least 3.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• No no allergies but What I really was asking was about the salmonella thing? My son keeps asking and asking but I am scared to give it to him.
    Anonymous

• to be honest I wouldn't chance it with peanuts being contaminated and everything because me and my baby got really sick off of nutter butters and she loves em but I'm afraid to give her peanut butter now. They're lucky I didn't file for a law-suit because my baby almost died!
    Native_Mommy253

Answer by Native_Mommy253 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2009