How do you get a child to stay sleeping when he/she is scared of everything????

Scared of the dark.. the wind.. the rain... noises in the house... people sleeping noises.. etc.. i mean everything

Deanna36

Asked by Deanna36 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• explain to him or her what the noises are. and show them what it is from. when they understand what it is they tend to feel silly about it and relax. as for being afraid of the dark i would get them a night light and explain to them that there is nothing in the dark to be afraid of except maybe stubbing your toes when you get up to go to the bathroom lol
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My grandmother used to tell me that everything that is there in the dark,
    is the same things you see in the daytime and nothing changes.
    Perhaps doing a demonstration with turning the lights on and off can
    better explain that concept.
    Understanding that the noises are nothing helps as well.
    Reassure her that if she goes to sleep by herself at night and
    wakes up that you will be there and she can come to you at any
    time.
    Tell her that thinking anything is there is just silly.
    Maybe if she has a blanket or stuffed animal to hold onto it'll
    make her feel better. Good Luck.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 12:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• He wants me in his room with him.. says he cant sleep without me.. its really frustrating.. so much anxiety.. its wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than just a fear of the dark
    Deanna36

Answer by Deanna36 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Get him psychological help!
    SufiMajik

Answer by SufiMajik at 1:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I am actually, he is in therapy.. but i hate it :(
    Deanna36

Answer by Deanna36 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Deanna 36 I to so many years ago felt the same way I dont know why I even had trouble going to school be patient with your child use a light if you have too a bathroom light talk with him talk to him about things. maybe it is the feel of his room maybe painting and decorating it different would help have him get involved too.

DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 4:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• how about getting him a black light and adding the stars to his walls and ceilings? also if you own your home they make glow in the dark markers that are clear on white walls but they show up under black lights. maybe allow him to draw his own pictures that he can see at night? or you can draw the pictures? if he has any type of decal on his walls you can color those with the marker that way they will glow under the black light. this has helped my girls fear of teh dark tremendously. also they have a MP3 player that they plug into speakers in tehir room . i have downloaded all calm and soothing lullabies and it helps drown out most of the night time noises.
    Disneymom1218

Answer by Disneymom1218 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Do you play music at night to drown out the noises??
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2009