Babysitting classes?

My SD is 14 and wants to take the babysitting class. Our local hospital offers it once a month for $35 and it's 4 hours long. It seems like a good idea, but I was wondering if any of your teens took a babysitting class? Did it help them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Find out if they learn CPR. If so, that would be helpful.

Good Luck
    SufiMajik

Answer by SufiMajik at 1:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My daughter took the Red Cross babysitting training class. They taught CPR, first aid,etc. It was a great class, she learned a lot, received a training book/ completetion certificate/card & put on the babysitter referral list. I think it is worth the money.
    bookworm65

Answer by bookworm65 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I would hire a teenager who had taken the course over one that had not. Knowing Infant first aid/CPR saved my child's life so.. I'm definitely an advocate!!

Anonymous

• The class is DEFINITELY worth every penny! It's not just a job skill, but it's a life skill, and it might look good on a job or college application down the road.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 4:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My daughter took it when she was 13 through the Red Cross and learned so much. Not only do they learn CPR and first aid which are very valuable, but they also gave suggestions on games to play and how to come up with activities that are age appropriate. She got to keep the book and I think she uses it sometimes as a reference before she goes to a babysitting job. She has 4 or 5 families in the neighborhood that she babysits for regularly and one mom is always referring other people to her. I think part of it is due to the class. It adds that extra security as far as parents are concerned. My 5th grader will be 11 in June and wants to take the class this summer so I will sign her up as well. It's well worth it.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Yes, I think the classes would be great they probably learn CPR and how to handle emergencies. I would let her take the classes.
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 3:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I'm a teen Mom and I took babysitting classes when I first became pregnant and I think without them I wouldn't have a clue what to do
    Aimee789135

Answer by Aimee789135 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Thank you all. I did enroll her in a class in April - she's excited! They will be learning CPR too!
    Anonymous