Medical question

I am the Mom of a 2 month old through open adoption. We recently received the bmom's medical records (which she consented to the release of). The records show a lot of stuff that wasnt previously disclosed. I am reading them as a layperson but would like to have a doctor look at them and render an opinion so I know if there is anything I need to do for the baby's health moving forward, look out for, etc.. My gyno and my pediatrian will not render an opinion on her records saying that if they read them and tell us that the condition is not something to worry about and then baby gets sick, can be sued. Has anyone dealt with this and how did you get around it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Adoption

• Possibly check into a children's hospital that has an International adoption clinic. They check over those records and give opinions to adoptive parents before they accept a referral.
    luckyshamrock

Answer by luckyshamrock at 1:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• As long as you are aware of the bmom's medical history you can make sure your pediatrition is also aware of them. That way if something does arise you won't be taken by surprise.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Thank you Luckyshamrock, I hadnt thought of that. I originally thought it was a HIPPA issue so I blacked out the name but that wasnt what bothered them.
    One of the things what might be a pretty serious thing so if nothing else, I want to discuss that element.

One good thing came our of it though, it appears through out that she really did get the information about parenting on several occasions so it is nice to know all rules were followed.
    Anonymous

• I am also an adoptive parent..Thank you ..yeah, it's awesome. ours too was & is open adoption. Turns out that the birthparents weren't all that forthcoming in their records & we have found surprises all along the way. i have always just told my Pedi. he's adopted & we don't have a full birthparent history. So it's like he is writing his own birth history, literally. You'll be ok. My adopted son turned out to have Asperger Type Autism. He was also born w/o a soft spot. I had to threaten the CPS dr. at first that was telling me he was probably in birth canal too long & it will show up that he most certainly did not have one & if he didn't do a scan I would have it done myself. He did it & sure enough his cranial bones were fully fused. He had a soft spot made when he was 2 months old. he was my foster son at the time but I knew something was wrong. Go with your gut, he's your child now, birth or not your the mommy hawk.
    aajsluckymommy

Answer by aajsluckymommy at 3:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Something to remember is that most birthmothers are very young when they relinquish. I myself developed type 1 diabetes when my adoptee son was 5. Because I had a semi-open adoption I was able to warn his amom.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Welcome to the frustration of not knowing your (or your child's) medical history!!! For those of us from closed adoptions or where there is no known medical information, this can cause extra anxiousness as we go through life wondering at times of medical concerns.

I'm hopeful that this is an area that open adoption is showing improvement in. I'm sorry that you are concerned by something you are reading and can't get a professoinal opinion. Having to build a history "going only forward" can at times leave one unsettled - medically this is one of those areas for a lot of us.
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Do your own research. Start looking up the things from the records yourself. Find a medical professional that you can ask "hypothetical" questions to.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 8:11 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Thanks, I have a question on WebMD that I am hoping a doctor will answer. We will have very limited information ourselves since the Bmom is an adoptee out of the foster care system and she doesnt seem to have much and the bdad is uncooperative as far as giving info. Although it was an eye-opener on a couple of things, I am thankful for what we have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I don't understand that. Only b/c I had the actual records of a birth parent and not a single doctor had a problem with giving me in put on what was best medically for my child. They did not diagnose my child. They simply gave suggestions about what medically we should look into. As far as what genetic testing should be done and what signs/symptoms we needed to be on the lookout for. I would never stay with a doctor who said they could not make suggestions about what I signs/symptoms I needed to be on alert for. Then again, I would not have left it to a general practitioner. I would have seen a genetic specialists. Most pediatricians cannot tell you b/c they don't know and are not qualified to go into all that. A geneticist would be your best option.

Anonymous

• Ours was closed and we didn't get much information either. What little we did get wasn't very helpful however other than drugs and alcohol abuse, my son is FAS we finally found out, I dont' know that it makes a huge difference anyway. I guess it would be nice to know the family history but all we know is things like arthritis, high blood pressure etc. I hope you don't have any medical issues to worry about.
    mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 9:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2009