I'm stressing out, my daughter's behavior is out of control....

I'm a full-time college student, and my daughter has reacted in a negative way, it seems that she does things just to get attention, but i'm giving her negattive attention. I sometimes want to get away and just relax but i feel guity for ever wanting to be away from my child.... please help...

psychobilly_mom

Asked by psychobilly_mom at 1:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am a full time college student and it does take time for kids to adjust when it is new. But they need to know that rules are rules. That didn't change when you started school. Be firm with her and let her know that you will not tolerate behavior like that. Be consistent as well.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 2:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• you have to make sure that you take time for her. she is probably feeling like mommy dont care about her and she is acting out for attention...try making some just mommy and daughter time and do some stuff that she likes and make sure u do it as often as u can its important for her not to feel left out
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 1:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• If you need time for you, it is probably because you are streesed out. It isn't a healthy way to be, Don't allow your child to dictate how you live. You don't love her less because you're in school, you are setting an incredible example for her. School is important. Let your child know that her behavior is unacceptable and you won't allow it to go on. Be firm but not aggressive. If she acts out while shopping, tell her to stop, if it goes on take her home and put her in time out. Reward good behavior, but try to ignore tamtrums as much as possible.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• oh thanks to both answers, really helpful!
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 1:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Remember that for a young child *any* attention is good attention. She doesn't care if she's only getting negative attention. She's just happy she's getting it. You do need to address the undesirable behavior. Don't dwell on it though. Keep the interaction to a minimum. Address it, move on.

Try to also find ways to fit in positive interactions. Catch her doing something good and lavish on the praise. Carve out time for the two of you to do something special and fun together! Maybe one night on the weekend let her stay up a little later (not late, just a little later than usual) and watch a movie together, pop popcorn, paint her nails - whatever. Make it special! If she feels like she's getting attention she'll stop trying to manufacturer opportunities to get some.

Don't get me wrong. I know it's hard to balance school and home! Fit in what you can. Anything is going to help.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 4:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Do you eat dinner together??? Try to make dinner time the time you talk about your day and her day... You look for all the good things she is doing...and say it out loud...

Let her help set the table and say things like What a good job you did Mary... or whatever her name is... putting the plate on the table... the spoon on the table etc... Use her name and point out all the positives during the dinner time... Point out only the positives... it's hard and you will have to catch those moments and yourself to do it... But it's worth the time and energy to do so...

This age is very hard... on all of us... parents as well as grandparents... and the kids can use all the positive they can get....

Good Luck!!!
    RustysMom

Answer by RustysMom at 6:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2009