Is everything ok with her?

My daughter is 15 months and she hasnt been eatting very much. She still drinks ALOT but she's not much into eatting. I tried to call the doctor and ask him what I should do but he never returns my call. I guess that means he doesnt think its a big deal but it worries me that she doesnt wanna eat much. Have your children gone through this? What should I do to try to get her to eat? She's also cutting her back teeth. She's been starting to eat a little bit more lately but still not as much as she used to. Could it just be a phase she's going through?

Hot_mommy_92

Asked by Hot_mommy_92 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's probably her teeth. My son doesn't eat much when he's teething. As long as she is otherwise normal and healthy, I wouldn't sweat it. Her appetite will come back, with avengence... lol.

However, I'd be concerned about the doctor not returning my calls. To me, that would be totally unacceptable, and if it happened more than once, I'd be looking for a new doctor.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Thank you so much for your answer! This is the first time the doctor wont return my calls about something.Usually he calls me back within a couple of hours or the nest day at the latest,but for some reason he hasnt called back about this.
    Hot_mommy_92

Answer by Hot_mommy_92 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Maybe the message got lost?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• she may not be growing right now. when kids aren't going through a growth spurt they don't usually eat much at all (or it could be the teething) but once they're through that phase like bluefrogmama said, her apetite will come back with a vengeance and you won't be able to keep track of how much she's eating
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• She will eat when she is hungry, don't worry about it all kids do that.
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 1:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Its probably because she's teething. Her appetite will come back, for now let her drink when she wants too.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I don't think it's anything to worry about, all of my kids went through these stages. When they did eat, I made sure it was something good for them. I did the same thing with their drinks. Now they have more nutricious things to drink like PediaSure, and I always gave them a daily vitamin. I'm guessing by your post, "he never returns my call," you've called more than once. I would have a problem with that, too. Even if he thinks it's no big deal, it's a big deal to you. I would talk to him about his return call policy and get another pediatrician if you aren't comfortable with it.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 2:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• We had one that never ate very much. When I asked our doctor, he told me not to worry. When she gets hungry, she will eat, he said. I also have one grandson that eats very little yet is very healthy. Every child is different, so I don't think you should be concerned as long as she is drinking plenty of liquids.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• The molars will affect things. But it is also very normal for a toddler's appitite to nosedive after 12 months. The growth rate slows way down so they actually don't need to eat as much as they did just a couple months before. I know, it seems odd. She's bigger so shouldn't she eat more? No. She's not growing nearly as fast now and growth takes a LOT of calories.

There will be days when you swear all she ate was 5 cheerios and a cup of milk. And there will be other days when she does eat. Since you never know which it will be, make every bite count. Strictly limit sweets, crackers, and other junk so anything she does eat is good for her.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• We go thourgh phases with Caine (2) too and this week happens to be a good week for eating , he is accepting everything I offer him, sometimes he says ewww to everything i put in front of him. Toddlers are like moody teenagers it will pass, just offer like you normally would and if she doesnt eat she doesnt eat, she's not going to starve.
    cainesmama

Answer by cainesmama at 4:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009