What is the oldest age you could imagine breastfeeding to?

Not what you think is acceptable for others or how long you have nursed in the past, but the oldest age you think you would feel comfortable nursing your child to.

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would nurse untili they had teeth, then pump and put in a cup for as long as possible or until I got tired of it.
    Anonymous

• 2 and I would pump for however long. But I dont knock moms who want to much longer.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Under 3.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• well DS is almost 2 and isn't ready to stop yet, so 3 maybe.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Anon 1:12-what if they were born with teeth? It does happen. Can I ask your reasoning for that? It's not painful because they have teeth. Some have issues with it but my son only bit me once and that was the end of it. Their tongue covers their bottom teeth so they can only bite if they are "fiddling" with the nipple after they eat.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i probably wouldnt be comfortable past 3. DD is 19 months now and it is already becomming physically uncomfortable the bigger she gets...
    charlierae

Answer by charlierae at 1:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• you know i dont think there is a set age for me, so while i might think "2" for now, 2 just doesnt happen over night, so at 2 yrs and one day when my baby is still nursing im not going to wean just because its 2 yrs and one day! the longest i ever nursed someone was 13 months but that wasnt my choice to stop.. bianca just toally wouldnt nurse at all once my milk reverted back to colostrum at the end of my pregnancy.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Probably somewhere after the third birthday but before the fourth?
    But you know, tons of people say, "I couldn't imagine nursing X!" and when they get to that age, it's totally different.
    I'd never do LESS than two years, though. Just like you give formula until the first birthday, you give breastmilk until the second.

The pumping lady... you'd never make it at breastfeeding. Teeth don't mean biting, just so you know, and pumping is asking to destroy your supply AND make you miserable unless you really are dedicated to it. What's with the teeth thing anyway? You'd wean a 3 month old because they have teeth? You can't just teeth them not to bite? Lots of women do it EVERY DAY.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Hmmm... I don't know. I am letting my youngest self wean. She is 2y3m right now and still nursing. I don't know if I have an age limit on it, I suspect I'll know when I get there.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Well, my toddler just turned 3, so who knows. Probably 4.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 2:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009