How can I wean a baby from breastfeeding at one year?

jessbarron

Asked by jessbarron at 2:34 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is no rule about weaning at a year. The AAP recommends a minimum of a year, and the WHO recommends a minimum of 2 years. The longer you nurse, the better it is for both baby, and YOU! longer bfing reduces the risk of breast cancer, cervical cancer, rhumetoid arthritus, and many other things in YOU. So there are reasons to continue...not to mention ALL the benefits to your child.

If you'd like to know more about nursing past a year, feel free to joing the breastfeeding toddlers group on cafemom. You can find a link on my homepage.
    wearingyourbaby

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 1:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I wanted to wean my son at a year but he was sooo attached to it. So I put it off thinking maybe he would wean himself especially because he loved whole cow's milk, but it never happened. I gradually cut out daytime feedings by replacing it with food or cow milk and keeping him busy and distracted. Nap time was the only time during the day I breastfed him and then at night pretty much on demand. I finally ended it a week after he turned 2 and he was surprisingly ok with it. I just told him mommy didn't have any milk anymore and that he was a big boy and basically just replaced it with cow milk.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• So many moms believe that they have to wean at a year. There are MANY, MANY benefits to breastfeeding beyond a year.

Here's a wonderful article on the benefits of extended breastfeeding:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 12:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2008