Have you ever colored your DD's hair at age 8?

My DD has very dark brown, thin and oily hair. It always looks weighed down, and just plain yucky. She wants highlights, but I was thinking of maybe coloring it a shade or two lighter to help with the greasy appearance. Is she too young at 8?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• IMO, yes.

Are you using a shampoo + conditioner "all in one" on her? Maybe just try straight shampoo and only condition every other time.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• absolutely 8 yrs old is wayyy to young to be getting your hair dyed
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Too early. Have you taken her to a professional to ask their advice on the greasy hair?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Way to young. I too have oily hair and I use Finesse clarifying shampoo. It works great and my hair feels super soft. Instead of dying her hair try sunsilk sunin spray. It works with the heat of the sun or hair dryer. If you color her hair you will damage it.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I never condition it, ever. Believe me, she doesn't need it. I hate to say this, but her hair looks disgusting, all day, everyday. Her sister has beautiful curls, and DD is SOOOOO jealous. I've tried different kinds of cuts and styles, but nothing works. Bless her heart, it frustrates her, too. A stylist recommended highlights to take the attention off the top of her head, and even offered to do it free (that's when you know it's bad.) but I wanted some other opinions first.
    Anonymous

• Waaay too young IMO! My DD won't get highlights until maybe her last couple of years in high school.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 1:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Too early. Ask her doctor for a shampoo recommendation. My sons use T-Gel shampoo & I shave their heads too, which really helps! LOL...my daughter would never agree to that! They eventually out grow it!
    bookworm65

Answer by bookworm65 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• We did our daughters hair with purple highlights for her 5th birthday. The highlights she had done changed shades with the color of her hair, so they actually looked pretty natural, aside from the fact they were purple, our son has also gotten highlights in his hair, he loved them and so did we. He was 8 and got blonde ones in his dark brown hair. Everyone loved them and we are doing both of their highlights again for the summer. This time our Daughter is getting candy apple red (I just got them too) We don't take them in every six weeks for touchups, we just let them grow out, we don't want to damage their hair. We figure, it's up to them what they want to do with their hair.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 1:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Ok, so one day I was coloring my hair that does all over color and then highlights. My then 8 yr old was watching and when I had extra highlight stuff, we put it in her hair. It looked great!!! She didn't really need them as her hair lightens in the spring and summer, but she thought it was cool.

I say this...if it helps her feel better, then do it. We're not talking plastic surgery. Oh, for those that need someone to bash to make you happy. I also let me DD get her ears pierced at age 6! Decide her own haircut (which is short) at 6 too.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• imo no. i'd let her clip in a color or use hair mascar to make a colored streak. it's gotta wash out. i see nothing with it i wouldn't because their hair is still developing
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009