At what age should I start feeding my baby, baby food or cereal? ?

BOYSMOM69

Asked by BOYSMOM69 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My lil woo woo can have rice cereal at 3-4 months. Veggies at 4-5 and fruits after you start veggies. No allergies to speak of so he will be fine.
    22mommie22

Answer by 22mommie22 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Pediatricians recommend starting rice cereal at 6 months. Starting your baby earlier can increase risk of obesity, food allergies, and other medical conditions. Moms will say go ahead and do it, but I'd rather listen to the doctors.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Wel mamachamp was right, this mommy says lol, I give my 3 1/2 month old cereal in his bottle! (some moms are gonna bash me oh well) My son is a hungry little thing if he wants to eat let him! He eats about 6 oz with a half of scoop of cereal. and most of the time he's full!!! So do what you feel is right if you think it's gonna hurt him/her don't do it but if you feel comfortable go ahead I say.....
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Our pediatrician recommended 6 months in general. But for my kids he said 4.

The newer recommendation is 6 months. The usual recommendation is 4-6 months.

Starting cereal and food early does not increase the risk for obesity. Not having proper eating habits and having a sedentary lifestyle is what increases the risk of obesity!
    Anonymous

• My daughters pediatrician started her on rice cereal at 4 months old. ASk the doctor. They will tell you when to start your baby on cereal and baby food.
    sweetpea808

Answer by sweetpea808 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i gave my daughter cereal at 5mos but only because she was able to sit up on her own...they have to be able to sit up supported,good head control,ect...
    the pediat. also said 5 mos is a good age to start
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• 6 months. They don't need it before. They don't need it until a year! But 6 months is a good age to start practicing.
    Veela

Answer by Veela at 9:18 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Thanks for the info ladies :)
    BOYSMOM69

Answer by BOYSMOM69 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2009