does anyone know

my daughter loves dogs, i told her we would get a puppy, now im looking, ive narrowed the choices down to a black lab, a redtick coonhoud, and a golden retriever....which of those is best with children,obviously i would change the choices to make sure my daughter is going to be safe with this dog we get her. and does anyone know where i can adopt a pet in newport news va? or close to

armywife142

Asked by armywife142 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Pets

• Probably you're nearest animal shelter...chitzu's are very kid friendly and are small dogs and train well...the animal shelter ususally lets u know weather the dog they have is good with children or not and how old and all of that good stuff...its a good way to give an unwanted animal a good home too
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 1:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• We have a black lab. He's dumber than dirt (but has been trainable, just not as smart as my other dog), but very gentle and loyal, even in his old age. My 2 year old is constantly messing with him, he just lays there and takes it. He never growls or anything. If it gets to be too much, he gets up and walks away. Typically, we make her leave him alone, just so he's not abused by her, but while I'm cooking dinner and my husband is wrapping up with work, she usually gets a few jabs in. We also have a Boston Terrier, also very loyal. He's gentle with the kids, but he's a puppy and gets feisty. He doesn't bite or anything, but he jumps up and generally acts like my toddler, always getting into trouble.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• any dog can be good with children if raised around them and raised by good people. my chihuahua loves kids and most people say they are mean. just like pit bulls are sweet loving dogs. they just get a bad rap bc stupid people fight them. i owned one that was a big baby. loved to cuddle and was gently as a lamb with small children. so any of the ones you picked would work. or go to an animal shelter and get one that someone decided to dump there for no reason. pound puppies/dogs make great pets as well
    bare121807

Answer by bare121807 at 2:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• we have pit bulls. they're Excellent with our kids. a long time ago they were bred to protect royalty children in england.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• look at an animal shelter for a dog that already has a good track record with kids - I dont think the breed matters as much as how the dog is trained but puppies can be a handful more so than kids
    Anonymous

• Go to www.petfinder.com to find shelters and rescues in your area.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 2:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• we have a English bulldog and I have to say she has never not once snapped at my kids they sometimes get ruff with her ( not that we allow them to be mean but they are kids ) and she is such a big baby she listens so well and has a great temper they are a great breed to look into dont let the name fool you they are great dogs and they have rescue groups all over

tlc-mom

Answer by tlc-mom at 2:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Labs and Retrievers are both excellent with children. I've never owned a coonhound, but my brother has one and she is soooooo hyper all the time.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 5:35 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i have a german shepard, a heeler and a rott mix, and they all love my 2 month old baby... i agree its not the breed its the dog pesronality... id check a shelter first and dont be afraid to ask lots of questions thats what they are there for:) gj
    kasiface

Answer by kasiface at 9:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Have you looked in to beagles? They do have some common health issues, but they are great dogs for children and are somewhat easy to train. A friend of mine rescues beagles and has kept 2 as her own pets. Many hunters will adopt beagles during some hunting seasons, then when the season is over, they take the dogs to shelters. According to many websites, another thing sometimes happens to Beagles. Research labs breed them or take them from pounds and do medical research on them. There are laws passed in many states where labs cannot take dogs from shelters or from private individuals unknowingly. But there are some states where if a person surrenders them to a shelter, they can sign their permission to ALLOW a research lab to take them.

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/beagle/beagle.aspx

http://adopt-a-beagle.adoptapet.com/
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:03 AM on Mar. 13, 2009