Lumps in my armpit??

My baby is a week old and when my boobs were engorged, I had this golf ball sized lump under my armpit that was just as hard as my breasts. I couldn't even put my arm down all the way. I called the nurses and she said just to massage the area and put hot compresses on it as it is probably just a clogged milk duct. Well, I thought it went away when my boobs weren't engorged anymore but last night I looked and it was swollen even worse than before and there are little lumps all over the area. IT looks like someone put pebbles there and sewed my skin over them. I keep doing the massage and compresses but it doesn't work. Does that sound like a clogged milk duct in my armpit? The other one is just fine. Normal, flat, armpitty. This one looks like a warty toad lodged itself under my skin.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like you are producing milk in your auxiliary breast tissue. Breast tissue can develop anywhere along the "milk line" and you can have extra milk ducts and even extra nipples any where along there.
    Some women will leak milk from their armpits. What you need to do is let these milk ducts "dry up" and then they will stop producing milk (it will not affect production in your breasts). Apply cold compresses and cabbage leaves to the area to supress milk production.
    Stop the hot compresses and massage as that will encourage milk production there!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• By the way, it HURTS! and my boobs don't.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Maybe your body is fighting an infection...you have lymph nodes under there. I'd call your regular doc
    Anonymous

• It sounds like an infection. A round of antibiotics should get rid of it. Call your OB or regular doctor and see what they say.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 1:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I've never had a clogged milk duct in my arm-pit. i did get an abscess in my armpit once, not sure what caused it. It could have been a clogged pore from deodorant or bacteria got in from cutting myself shaving. I was given anti-biotics, and it went away. Also, you have lymph nodes there. If it were me, I'd head to the doc, just to be on the safe side. Good luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• could also be cysts, lymph nodes... go into your regular doctor and have them looked at
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 2:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009