Can I skip the cereals and go straight to the Stage 1 foods like bannanas?

I just started my munchie on solids (he will be 6 months on Sunday). He doesn't seem to care for the cereals, even when I mix them with juice or pedalite. So do we really have to go through this phase or can we just skip it.

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 2:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont see why not. the baby cereal is really just a starter food. but here is what you should do.. well what pedi's say to do... lets say you start your child on bannanas. keep your child on that for one week before you start something new.. and do it for every new food you introduce.. that way if your child has a reaction you know what from.. anyhow to make this shorter.. yes its alright
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 2:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Skip it! Cereals have little nutrition and are mostly filler. I read the ingredients, was disgusted, and never made DD cereal again. With my next LO I will skip it entirely!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 2:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Why are you giving him pedialite? Anyway the cereals have little to no nutritional value so yes you can skip them..babies do not need them at all.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I always just mixed the stage one fruits with the cereal about half and halfish, maybe a lil more cereal. My DD loved it then. She would never eat the cereal plain..
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• OH, and I mixed it with the cereal to make it thicker/more filling.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It's fine. The cereal has a lot of nutrients (supposedly) like Iron, but so do the baby foods! My opinion is that if you taste the cereal it's yucky! But the bananas, etc taste good!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 2:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You can skip it. But I use cereal to thicken my foods... my son didn't like the thin foods.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• yep according to my daughters pediatrician u can ....i gave cereal to her 2 times and we went right on to the stage1 foods...its the formula they need when u mix cereal and formula not the cereal
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• my baby hates the cereal! I've tried it a couple times and he just spits it out. My older son loved it. I just skipped it this time. No big deal
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:14 AM on Mar. 13, 2009