How can I get my 2 year old to fall asleep on her own.

Me and my husband take turn laying with her at night. She will not stay in her bed and go to sleep if we are not right there with her. I desperatly want her to be able to fall asleep on her own. HELP

nevaehsmommy006

Asked by nevaehsmommy006 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I asked the same question to my daughters councelor and developmental specialist. they said.. let her cry it out.. shell scream your right but... in the next week or so she will get the fact that crib/toddler bed means sleepy time.. mommy and daddy arent going to rescue me from sleep.. and eventually she will just pass out. :) it worked for my kid. :) good luck
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 2:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I hate the cry it out method. There are gentler ways. Try this instead: Lay with her for a few nights. Then, switch to sitting on the bed with her for a few nights. Then, sit on the floor next to the bed with your arm or head on the bed for a few nights. Next, bring in a chair and sit next to the bed without touching it for a few nights. Move the chair gradually further from the bed over the course of a few nights. Then, if you can, leave the room entirely and maybe that will be the end of it. If you can't, stand in the doorway for a couple of nights, then switch to standing outside the slightly closed door the last couple of nights. After that, you should be good to put her to bed and say goodnight. If she gets up at all you'll have to repeat the current ritual. Other things that might help would be a bedtime routine, dim nightlight, and special sleepy-time only stuffed toy or blankie. Good luck!
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You have helped her form a bad habit, and you will have to help her break the habit. You might try gradually weaning her from your presence, or you can do it all at once and listen to her cry. You will have to decide how you want to do it and your husband and you will have to agree to a plan. Then you tell her what is going to happen and see to it that it does.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2009