At what age

Do I start feeding my dog once a day versus twice a day? She is now 18 months old. She doesn't seem to be too hungry or clean out her bowl anymore when we go to fee her in the morning and evening.

LadyEb

Asked by LadyEb at 2:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Pets

• I've never had a dog that I only fed once a day....how much are you feeding her?
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 2:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• we've always fed our animals smaller portions twice a day. once a day just isn't frequent enough.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It especially depends on if you have a deep chested dog prone to bloat, torsion, etc. Deep chested dogs should always be fed twice a day. If your dog isn't cleaning her bowl, then reduce the amount you are giving her at each meal.
    AngelaSue1979

Answer by AngelaSue1979 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• twice a day is good. Read the pkg instructions or talk to the vet for feeding the correct amount to a dog that age.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• my little dog eats when he is ready I always leave a little food in his bowl they eat when they get hungry.
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 4:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I feed my dogs 2x a day. I have a Saint Bernard (9 months-105 lbs) and she is prone to bloat so I give her 3 cups 2x a day (6 cups total a day) and my other dog (3 yrs-76 lbs) gets 1 1/2 cups 2x a day
    mommareed

Answer by mommareed at 4:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have a beagle; my parents have a Pit Bull and prior to that a German Shepherd and they always just fed them once a day when they became full-grown.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 4:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My dogs only get fed once a day, and they are fine. I have a 3yr old Shih Tzu that gets a cup of food in the am and a 1 yr old Basset that gets 1.5 cups in the am.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 5:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You can feed once a day if the dog is not a large breed that requires a large amount of food and may bloat from eating it all at once, but I wouldn't. Simply for the fact that the dog won't have to go 23+hours between meals. Twice a day is better.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I feed twice a day. Always have works better for us.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:56 AM on Mar. 13, 2009