Any moms believe in using the belt?

I got it on rare occasions growing up but it definitely kept me in line. I only use my hand to spank my daughter but sometimes I wonder if a belt might be more effective for really bad behavior or extreme definance since my hand is rather small and doesn't seem to have as much impact as it used to. Was wondering what you all thought.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• My Dad used the belt once in a while, its not abuse its called discipline. I learned how to be respectful, hardworking and responsible. I never acted out when i was a teen( as in no sex, hanging out late, drinking, dating,etc). I dont believe in using the belt myself or any other object to discipline my child but i wouldnt consider using one abuse either.
    Anonymous

• Oh no, I hope you're kidding-it would be considered abuse and your kids could be taken away.

There are better methods of discipline than beatings. Clearly physical discipline is not working.

Time to try something else.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think that's abusive and humiliating. I personally wouldn't like to be spanked with a belt...would you?
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 2:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i dont have any kids yet but when i was little i got spanked with a belt, hand, or switch (branch). and i turned out fine. my sister on the other hand never got in trouble for anything and now she is just not out of control but doesn't care or listens. so my kids are going to get disiplined like me. only if they need to be.
    Anonymous

• Never. Why would you use a weapon against your child?
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 2:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• OMG, I am so tired of everyone saying that there's a better way to discipline our kids. Sometimes a spanking is in order. You cannot reason with a young child. The way parents raise their children today is ruining our country. We're going to have a bunch of snot nosed weenies ruling our country because parents won't spank their children. Sometimes you have to put the fear of God in them to get them to listen.

Anonymous

• i completely agree anon 2:24
    bare121807

Answer by bare121807 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I was spanked with a belt and whatever else when I was growing up.
    Yeah, it kept us in line- most of the time. BUT I don't use a belt on my kids.
    Yes, my kids get a swat or 2 on the butt but with nothing more than a hand.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I got hit with the belt..but mostly my parents would threaten and my Dad would snap the belt..scared the hell out of me. BTW I come from a very F'ed up home.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I dont believe in the belt but I do believe in spanking! Jennrn said that its not working, I personally believe that spanking is the one thing that did work. If you notice, when people got into this new thing of now spanking and only using timeouts thats when kids went out of control and dont listen to their parents anymore. I was never spanked past the age of two when I was a kid, And I have never once thrown a temper tantrum in my life, you better believe I will do the same with my kids. I refuse to be one of those parents that is only my childs best friend, and has no authority over them. This crap needs to stop!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2009