Does proper nutrition at your child's school cafeteria concern you?

I usually pack my daughter's lunch but some days when I am low on groceries I give her some money to buy from the cafeteria. I try to encourage her to go for healthier snacks and stay away from fries and greasy food. I can't really be there to watch what she eats so I trust her judgment, but I was wondering how you all feel about your school's cafeteria in regards to nutrition.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Health

• I think the district I live in has step up their menu but I doubt its even close to what you pack. When I was a kid it was just all crap food. I remember the white rice was half rice, half lard. Good though.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• They serve a lot of whole grains and a lot of poultry. They rarely have red meat and they always have a fruit and a vegetable. If it were the school lunches I got when I was a kid, yeah I would be concerned. But now, it really seems like they are doing their part to help encourage children to eat healthier and to provide them healthy food.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have 2 in school and I prefer they eat at school. I feel the prepackaged foods are high in sodium and all they would be getting is a sandwich and junk in a lunch from home.. It's also more expensive to buy food to take to school... I want them to have a hot meal at school and I have taught them to make healthy choices.. Another good thing at their school is they have a salad bar option, so if they don't want the tray lunch they can have a salad instead... My kids would live off salad if they could,lol
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 3:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• The school lunches are fine. And they are, after all, only one meal of the day. If you are giving them a good breakfast and supper and maybe a nutritious after-school snack, then even if they only eat junk for lunch, it would be fine. I used to eat lunch with my son's class when I did volunteer work, and the kids didn't eat much other than dessert anyway.

Answer by Bmat at 4:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009