Help, advice

Dh finally stood up to his parents. His parents are very controlling and down right rude to me. She talked about me the second I left the room. our sons baptisim is comming up and my husband and I made it clear we do not want his parents there because of all the drama there causing. its sad because my parents wont be there because of the horrible things they did. his parents are telling all hiss family not to come to the baptisim. SO there will be just a few family memebers there that care. Should I be the bigger person and let them come? even though they disrespect our marriage over and over again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• NO! Stand your ground or they'll never get the message! Thank God your husband is sticking up for you, as he should!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 2:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i would make them a special invatation!1 One that includes how happy you are and the joys of commetment and familly values! lay it on thick make your point in a christ like way and invite them!! your parents should not miss this, and some day his may wish they would have straightend up! have a wonderful Day!
    Anonymous

• No! You need to be consistent when standing up to people. Besides, this kind of this should be for people who really want to be there to be a support system. If they cannot do that, then they shouldn't be there. It's good that he finally stood up to them, now stick with it!
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• if other family members are not going just because of u and him not getting along with his parents- thats really childish and stupid!
    stand your ground honey
    even if its a few people and not alot like you'd hope- its the few that have thier hearts in the right place and thats what really matters-
    how people can be so stupid when this is a sacred event for your son- then u dont need em!
    KITTYLITTLES

Answer by KITTYLITTLES at 4:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• If DH has told his parents they are not welcome, then why won't your parents attend? They won't have to deal with his parents.

That being said...the ONLY way they should be allowed to come is with a promise to behave before,during,and after the ceremony (including being and speaking kindly) and with the understanding that if they can not abide by the rules set down that they will be asked to leave immediatly without discussion and will be barred from future events. Then you could at least say that you gave them the oppurtunity to be there, but thier own actions prevented them from enjoyig thier grandchild's special day.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2009