I was reading another question and it made me think : Think of the mistakes or bad choices you made as a teen (weather it be drugs , pregnancy , relationships , etc..) now think of the consequences ... now what if your child (as a teen of course) did some of these things or thought about it ... would you share your expierences with them , to maybe turn their self around about it??

tha-hawt-mommie

Asked by tha-hawt-mommie at 2:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I was a HORRIBLE teen. I was not having sex, as i was not interested, but i WAS experimenting w/ all kinds of drugs. My mom was totally naive & trusted me. She had NO idea what i was doing until i was 16, & i told her everything. Even then, she couldn't do much to stop me. In a way, i'm glad i experienced all that. I learned A LOT, & I also feels that i have what it takes to keep my daughter from doing the same thing. I did so many drugs, that there is no way my girl will be able to get away w/ any of that. I will see it from a mile away. and i will also do something my mom didn't........talk to her & be honest w/ her about drugs & sex etc. I had no idea about it & learned the hard way. I think i went through it all so that i can better protect MY daughter, so i kind of see it as a blessing.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I'm glad you posted this. This is a great way to educate. I have a feeling you might be targeted b/c the topic keeps coming up but its important. Like you said sharing stories could help someone thru a difficult time.

Anonymous

• What turned me around was getting pregnant. I stopped using, & finished college ( I almost dropped out). If it was not for my blessed lil girl, i don't know where i would be. My life has made a %100 turnaround since the day i found out i was pregnant.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• sorry i keep posting. I would be honest about it with my daughter after a certain age. I would use the whole "friend" thing first instead of admitting I was the one doing all those bad thing. you know, "I had a friend who....." but eventually, when she is older & can understand, i will tell her everything. I would not want her thinking "well, my mom did it" & she turned out OK.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• samurai_chica - my dad didnt see that i was doing anything either!!!
    ---
    i drank for the 1st time @ 15 (and no not pussy liquor ... hard shit) , smoked weed for the 1st time at 13/14 ... experimented w/ pain pills at 13 ... coke at 16 ... partied at 16 (i mean not comming home for DAAAAAAAAAAYS) .. but i lied about where i was at ... i was daddys lil grl so he believed me ... all my relationships (except this one) were abusive ... and i got pregnant at 17 (i stopped all my horrible things b4 that) ... i went back to pills and coke , than wen i got w/ my bf now , he made me chose between pills and him , glad i chose him , i hate the sight of drugs now! i still have to take pain pills tho bc of my knee ... i too will kno (hopefully) when my kids are doing these things (if they are) and im going to tell them what i did and what i did to pay for it , it will DEFINATELY turn them off to it!!!
    cont...
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 2:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• but go ahead and bash ... im over a year and some months sober , and proud! ... i occasionally drink but not like before!
    tha-hawt-mommie

• samurai_chica - i see ur point in telling them "i had a friend..." ... im going to come straight out and say ME! I DID IT! ... idk why but i want to be sooo damn honest it hurts me lol ... my sister straight up told me the shit she was doing and what came out of it , and thats one reason y i stopped ...
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 2:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Yes i did And am already telling my child to wait till she finds the right person, How important her life is. Her dad an I have both been previously married so Im hoping she will never rush into anything. I intend to tell her my bad exper. so she can have something to judge. My Mother never told me anything one talk about the birds and bees, my parents were stricked so they thought i was always perfect. The base of a true life experiances were closed for me, maybe she only new the the good things but I will most surly have a open relationship with my child!
    Anonymous

• anon -- well said! ... i want to have an open relationship also ... wen they're ready to have sex , i want them to come to me , or rdy for a relationship , come to me ... think they NEED or want to smoke or party bc friends are , come to me! ... my daughters father was a goodie goodie , al he did was drink b4 21 , lol ... so i told him hes no help lol ... but my sons father , he wants nothing to do w/ these talks , bc he thnks things he does are ok ... he sells coke and its fine! watever
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 2:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I AM SO LYING TO MY KID. I'm gonna tell him I was perfect and he better be too. I don't care if you think thats bad. Its what I'm gonna do.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 3:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2009