• In the Spotlight:

how can i make bedtime easier for me and my 6yearold twin boys?

Bed time in my house is a horrible experiance for us all, my twins just turned 6 and from day one its been a battle to get them to sleep we follow the same rutine every night, im stressed therefore their stressed,any good advise?

jerrybears16

Asked by jerrybears16 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is it possible to separate them? Are they keeping eachother up? I need to know more of what your routine is to really give any advise about it.
    I do know that if I don't send my kids outside to play atleast an hour every day, they have trouble going to sleep. Send them outside to make them tired, and then start the bedtime routine earlier, w/o telling them you are starting the bed time routine. Take baths, read a book or watch a TV show.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 2:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I am a grandmother and my son and his wife have a 5 year old and an 8 year old and they have their own rooms they usually have them watch a movie they usually fall a sleep and have them good to bed at the same time every night.have a good day and I hope this will help you.
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 3:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Snuggle down between them (easier if they are in the same bed, but without that, their beds can be close together) and let them see the pictures as you read a bedtime story. By the time the story is done, they are warm in their beds and it's easier to drift off to sleep.
    If they've had an intense day I'll put a hot water bottle in their bed to help them relax.
    Our 1st 2 were only 18 months apart, so bedtime did call for careful strategy. We didn't have a TV, so that wasn't undermining sleep, but if you do, turn it off at least 30 minutes before bed. ...One wonderfully effective thing was quietly switching off lights in other parts of the house so they didn't get attracted away from the bathroom/bedroom. This helped give a settled atmosphere. I didn't haveto scold, the lighting took care of it.. ... Candlelight is super-calming, if there's NO electric light to sabotage it. Choose a couple lullabies & sing them as background
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Listen to audio books rather than tv. They will have to be quiet and listen but dont need to keep their eyes open and will likely fall asleep. Here is a link for books on tape http://www.cjkidz.com/Books.html click on Listening Library.  You could make your own tapes reading books using your own voice.

If they get out of bed, they will need to go to bed earlier the next night.  And stick to it!

momjs

Answer by momjs at 7:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2009