Am I being too paranoid? Has anyone's child ever gotten worms from the family pet?

I have been living with my parents for the last 4 months because of some financial trouble that we had. I'm moving back out next week, but we will still come to visit this house OFTEN, so I feel like even though we are moving I should still be concerned about this: ew, it's so gross! One of the cats is an indoor/outdoor cat. I noticed worms on its butt (gag!!!) last month and forced my dad to buy wormer for it. The cat took the wormer and the follow up dose, but because he is an indoor/outdoor cat, he ate a bird and got worms again. Sick! I keep telling dad to leave the cat outside, because in addition to the worminess he ALSO tears up the carpet and the couch and scratches my daughter! Dad keeps letting the worm-bag in anyway. I'm worried that my daughter will get worms because this cat is allowed to be in the house even though we can't keep him worm-free. Has anyone's kid ever had worms? Did it come from the family pet? Ugh!

laadeedah

Asked by laadeedah at 2:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son had pinworms 3 times and NOT from a pet and NOT from daycare-school kids- we homeschool.
    sometimes things just happen- you can't prevent every thing. just have your child wash before eating and after playing with the cat. make sure there is lots of hand washing.

a cat with worms should not be allowed in and/or not allowed back out after it's been cured.that is gross having a cat with worms in the house and on the couch, etc. you can't stop your dad, but maybe you and your mom can vaccuum extra.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 2:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My friend's whole family got worms from their dog that had worms. They all had to take medication. Having worms isn't always apparent either. Pay close attention to your daughter because if she is playing with a cat that has worms she will most likely get worms. Don't let her play with the cat and just wash her up before she eats anything and after leaving that house. Your Dad needs to know the rule that when your daughter is their the cat needs to stay outside. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• Actually, the cat shouldn't be allowed outside, and they need scratching posts. My cats only scratch on what they are supposed to use, it's easy to train them. The cat should be wormed again, not let outside, and the carpet and furniture steam cleaned.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 2:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Im not sure about cats but our pitbull puppy had worms right after we bought him and I was very concerned and when we went to the vet to get the de-wormer thing i told the vet that i had a young child at home and I wanted a lil information on humans and worms, she said that there have been very rare cases of humans contacting pet worms and and then only if the child got into the catbox or somehow came in contact with pet feces, and its gross i know but if the feces got into the mouth. Be very careful about pet waste thats the main thing. My son never got anything from our puppy. Hope it helps good luck
    cainesmama

Answer by cainesmama at 4:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i have five cat's, 3 of them i kinda don't want (the female cats) & ditto about the worm's. yes, it makes my skin some times crawl because the cats sit on the rugs, the floor, & even on the chair's & couch. UGH! so i feel your scaredness, my daughter hasn't gotten those type's of worms (i truely didn't know you could!)
    thank you by the way.
    powow65

Answer by powow65 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2009