Rice Cereal...

My daughter is allergic to milk/soy protein. Is she going to beable to tolerate the gerber boxed dry rice cereal?? Otherwise what kind should I use for her??

proudmom89

Asked by proudmom89 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think this would be a good question to ask your pedi. They would be more aware of your child's specific needs and allergies and will be able to lead you in the right direction with cereal.
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Soy oil-lecithin is in the rice, oatmeal, and barley cereal from Gerber. So no, she should not have it if she is allergic to soy.

I am not sure of what else you can use, just look at the ingredients list on the package and look if is has soy/milk in the list, or if it states that it was manufactured on equipment that uses those products.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• If she is allergic to that I would ask her dr. for sure. And try gerber stages 1 food. There are tons of food types (fruit, veggies, and chicken)... She doesnt have to only try rice cereal try out gerbers line too. I am sure she will like it. Just remember to try one type each week to check for other allergies. good luck.
    YoungandExcited

Answer by YoungandExcited at 3:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• They dont need the cereal at all, you could try bananas or avocado as first foods (i'm assuming that the baby is old enough to start on solids)
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Personally, cereal=yuck to me. I don't find it to be necessary. When they're ready for solids, fruits and veggies are best. (all IMO)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Ask the Dr. My son loved the cereal though. Just because some other mom's don't think they need it or think it tastes awful dosen't mean you child won't love it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2009