our 4 year old is terrified to sleep alone any help?

he has never sleep with us but I do have a toddler bed in our room for him and he screams his way into it almost every night. WE used to have to fight him to go to sleep but he does that fine now(as long as I sit on the couch where I can see his doorway until he falls asleep). He's scared of blue mooses,tiny deer,wolves, the mouseamin(whateverthat is)that lives in his closet,basically his oversized inagination.I've tried everything I can think of to reasure him and calm his fears.

manarae2004

Asked by manarae2004 at 2:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• as long as you keep playing into it, he will continue. My son used to try the same tactics cause he wanted someone to sleep with him. I used to lay in his bed with him until he fell asleep but most of the time I would too! That had to stop so I just told him nothing will hurt him, I would kick their butts if they tried, and left the room. He does have a night light in his room. You will have to be strong and ignore his crying. It will only stop though if you stop giving in.
    Anonymous

• get a keychain flashlight that he can keep under his pillow or on his bedside table. Make a monster lock out of cardboard and paint to hang on his closet door knob. Tape a bell on a string to the closet door and tell him that if any monsters come out he'll hear the bell and all he has to do is shine his flashlight at it and it will disappear forever.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 3:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2009