baby cereal/food

is it really worth the money? I've been told not to even bother with all the baby food stuff and just start my baby on adult food (soft foods,mashed up foods, pured, ect).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, you can go right to table foods. You need to still give each food a trial to make sure there are no sensitivities, though.

You don't even have to puree it, either.

In all honesty, I used baby food to run the gambit of different ingredients, but that's really about it. I went longer on the baby food with my oldest, but by the time my youngest was 6 months I was giving table versions of tried versions while using baby foods for other new foods. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:52 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• you can make homemade baby food. A lot of people prefer it bc it can be cheaper. You can google it to get good recipes. I prefer buying babyfood, but htats just me!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 3:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think that the cereal was a good start to get used to eating off of a spoon.

And the stage 2 foods helped a lot as far as being convenient, but really you can make the same stuff at home with a processor. And stage three, again, is just another convenience. So....it depends on you and your lifestyle.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• baby ceral is actually cheap and last quite awhile. The baby cereal has a lot of iron in it which the baby needs, but if you make your own just make sure your baby is getting enough iron and nutrients.
    Anonymous

• We buy gerber stage 1 baby foods. He is eating off the spoon well now, it was a little strange at first. lol. He likes the food and I like the price. He can eat a small container each day (along with regular breast feedings.) it costs about .50 each container. I think its affordable and even goes on our ebt card.
    Anonymous

• i only did the purees to get him used to the flavors, he's 8 months now and eats all table food.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 4:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I make 90% of my food... and freeze it into cubes. We are starting more table foods now that he is nearly 8 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Cereal=yuck. You can puree your own foods, or just wait until they are ready to finger feed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think infant cerials are a huge waste of money and they arent really even nutritionally good for babies except for having added iron....I choose to feed more nutritious foods to my babies, we plan to start with mashed organic avacados and banannas at 6 months.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:25 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with cereals. They help them learn to eat food off of a spoon and are a milder taste so it is a great first transition. Mine started with the cereal with formula, then progressed to cereal with juice mixed in.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2009