Is 18 Months too Young for Time Out?

I am wondering if my twins are too young for this because they just laugh every time I sit them back down on the naughty mat. It is very frustrating and I don't think they're learning anything. I'm not sure if they understand. What do you think?

gummylump

Asked by gummylump at 3:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope.. JB is 16m and we use it.. They have to learn right from wrong.. An he knows what im saying then he can be in a time out for his actions...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• If you stick with it and stick to your guns eventually they will understand and by two years old you'll have a good disciplining system. Try and get them to sit for as long as they will at this point. One thing they probably don't understand is time. So be patient, they don't know how long a minute is, I'm sure 5 sec. feels like a minute to 18 months. Your doing good!
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think as long as you can be consistent and follow through and they COOPERATE, then it's not too young. My daughter is 17 months and physical time out doesn't work for her. So, instead, I put the offending object in time out and that seems to work pretty well for now. For example, when she stands up on her bike seat, I give her two warnings to sit down or get down, and if she doesn't listen, the bike goes in time out for about 5 minutes. Then, I take the bike out of time out and remind her that she cannot stand on it. I've been doing this for a month and she finally listens to the warnings 80% of the time.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 3:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Keep using time outs. They will get it very soon!
    CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 3:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Time to spank. When they laugh at you, they are telling you that they won. I've seen it as young as 8 months. If you spank them now, you will teach them early to respect your authority and you will save yourself a lot of heartache later on.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• No not at all. My 14 month has been in time out, and believe me he is fully aware of what he had done wrong and he sits there 4 minutes and he is fine after that.
    The first time out he whinned entire time, now when i say no time out he just sits down or lays down until I say okay go play.
    angie2568

Answer by angie2568 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• my daughter is 15 months an we use time-out with her. its been working pretty well so far.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 3:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Hello Gummylump,
    Yes, It's OK(at least I think so) That's the way that they'll learn and I must admit that a time out can be good for me too. I've found that if my daughter did something to make me angry or frustrated with her that a time out would not only be good for disciplining your child but giving you time to cool off as well if your angry or upset in anyway with your child. As a Mother or a Father we ALL sometimes need a break. Don't feel bad or guilty about it. Your doing the right thing. Don't get me wrong it can be hard but I feel like the earlier that they are able to learn right from wrong the better. If you wait until they are say 3 years old to start disciplining them it might not work and it will be harder and harder as the child gets older to teach them right from wrong because they become so set in there own ways that they won't want to do what is right. SO, yes I feel that it's ok.
    Holly
    beccasmomabcd

Answer by beccasmomabcd at 3:18 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It's very effective! And if you don't start now, it's that much harder to teach them to behave when they hit the very negative phases in the 2's.
    If a time-out mat isn't working, try standing them in a corner or putting them in a playpen with no toys. Just make sure you don't give them any attention except physically holding them there is needed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• This is about the time we started with both our kids and I think it is a great time. Just keep putting them back and telling them they have to sit. Explain why there are there. Someone else mentioned about not understanding time and that is why I put a timer right beside their chair and they have to sit until the timer goes off. I did 1 min for each year of age (3.5 years and 21 months for mine). It takes some doing at first, but they do eventually understand and will stay there. Now if I tell my son to quit or he will get time out he says "I don't like time out, mommy I be good, I promise!!!" and he is! I like the idea of putting the object in time out, but not sure I would word it that way since the object did nothing wrong.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2009