My 6 month old started to scream, he squeezes his fists and yells. How can I stop this?

Should I just let him do it? I know he should express how he feels, its good to learn. Sometimes its funny, and other times i just think of the road ahead. what would you do?

YoungandExcited

Asked by YoungandExcited at 3:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A baby book i have suggests answering them really softly, almost a whisper, supposedly they'll tone it down??
    Anonymous

• IIn inappropriate places like church, stores - have toys that he's not yet had that could distract him or say loudly and firmly Quiet and take him elsewhere where he can be a bit noisier without distracting others. Also, Is he hungry, does he does it right before he ends up having gas or bm? The road ahead is even funnier and more maddening than where you are. I have three kids. Wait'll he fills his pockets with toads or brings home a snake. if he's happy except for these times that try you he's just trying realizing the power of his voice. My son when he was four years old used to lay down in the middle of the supermarket aisle and roll like logs up and down the aisle. I didn't think it was appropriate but people would just walk around them knowing it was better than kids yanking things off of the shelves. Of course if he continued for long we'd leave the store for time out. Enjoy baby.
    Anonymous

• The first responder reminded me of how much babies like bubbles - try blowing bubbles or playing catch with a nerf ball!
    Anonymous

• my daughter does it too when she's mad or happy she grunts and shakes both fist in the air the first pictures we had done of her she's doing it but now that she's older and is in with the big kids at the sitters i notice she hits her toys away when she's mad she even slaps my face when i try to calm her down and she's only 11 months i let her throw her fits but tell her no hitting people or the animals in the house i don't think it's something you can stop but don't turn your back on it it could change in to hitting other kids or throwing stuff he's getting your attention when he does it that's what he wants
    Anonymous

• The baby is 6 mos old? No offense but you cannot stop this now, the baby is too young. There is no 'punishment' for a child this age. You can softly rub his belly and say it is ok, so calm down but that is about it. Good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 4:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Good answers above. ... it's also helpful to sing or hum in the background as you do whatever you are doing. ... Children's songs like London Bridge, or Row, Row, Row Your Boat; or a lullaby ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2009