Craddle Cap

how do you get rid of it??

nicole0709442

Asked by nicole0709442 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Personally, when my son got it, I went to a "health supplement store" and bought some sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil and I already had some organic coconut oil and I mixed them all together and put the tiniest drop of tea tree oil and then rubbed onto scalp before his baths for a week or two and then it went away.
    bablondie

Answer by bablondie at 3:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I rubbed olive oil (any edible oil will work) in to the spot before the bath.
    At the end of the bath, I washed her hair to remove the oil, gently rubbing that spot to loosen any flakes.
    Once dried and in jammies, I gently brushed the spot with a baby hair brush to remove any loose flakes.
    Repeated every day until it was gone - about 5 days.

The big thing is to only remove the loose flakes, not all of it. Irritating the scalp will onlly make it worse.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You can use olive oil or baby oil and rub it onto the affected areas and comb gently over the scalp with a fine tooth comb. For Cradle Cap that extends down the neck and/or onto the forehead, you can rub it with a terry cloth washcloth. I then apply soap overtop of the oil and let it sit for a minute before putting my son into the bath tub to cut through the oil, making it easier to clean (and less likely for my son to have left-over oil in later lol).

I repeated this every 3-4 days and inbetween days, I would put lotion onto his forehead and neck and just brush his hair with a fine-tooth comb to remove flakes. Most infant books, such as What to Expect the First Year, warn against doing bathing/combing/oil treatments days in a row. The excess bathing can cause the skin to become dryer and the excess combing can actually over stimulate the oil glands causing more of a mess with the baby's skin.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• (cont.) if you notice that behind your baby's ears that there are lumps under the skin, that is normal. Those are lymph nodes and your immune systems way of draining the oil and other processes involved with combatting Cradle Cap.

Do not be discouraged if it does not go away. Some babies will have CC for months despite anything you do. According to What to Expect (and some people I've met) it is not uncommon to have it up until your second birthday.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My son is 9 months and still has it. His ped said we can use Selson Blue to get rid of it.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 7:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Is it bad for baby's to have it??? because my daughter has had for a lil while but i haven't done anything to it cuz it doesn't bother or it don't seem like it hurts or anything....but the other dad my boyfriends mom mentioned it so i thought i should do something about it....
    nicole0709442

Answer by nicole0709442 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2009