My baby wont sleep in his crib. What can I do to help him enjoy his crib?

We have a beautiful wooden crib and even a mobile to distract him. I rock him to sleep during naps and then place him in and (sleeps 20 min. tops in my bed he will nap 1-2 hours if I am next to him and wakes up happy) he wakes up crying. We tried to get him to sleep in there alone at night but he just sobbed for almost 2 hours. Nothing is working, any helpful tips?

YoungandExcited

Asked by YoungandExcited at 3:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My girl won't sleep in her crib either, she gets scared and I think lonely. I've been sleeping in the bed with her ever since I saw how upset she got when she was all alone in there... and I wouldn't go back, I love sleeping with my bubby. Instead of doing what YOU want (baby in crib) try doing what your baby wants (sleeping with you) :)
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:13 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• take him to bed with you and consider the lesson learned that you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
    Anonymous

• Try puting him in his crib more often so he can get comfy with being in there.
    Anonymous

• Babies don't know they are safe when they are left alone in the dark. Goggle co-sleeping.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I never bought into that "babies don't know there safe in the dark stuff", because if you set them up that way from birth how do they know any differently. My DS has always slept either in a bassinet or a crib because 1. he was a preemie and I didn't want to increase the risk of SIDS and 2. I still wanted to have the couple time that my DH and I needed. The thing I can suggest is to stop rocking him to sleep during naps or at bedtime because that is what he is used to and if he wakes up during the night he is going to need you to rock him back to sleep. You can also go to www.sleepsense.net and get a free sleep accessment for your LO and go from there. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• My daughter does the same thing, i think she like to feel me being beside her or the smell of me, but i slept with one of her blankets for several days and i put it in the bed with her and she slept a little better. also try to stop rocking them to sleep, that was a big thing with me. They say let them cry and night, i tried that for couple days and still didnt make her sleep longer, let them play in the crib several times a day, also a night light helps a lot to, i never leave them in the dark!!!!
    kaydencemommy

Answer by kaydencemommy at 3:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• oh anon....believe it are not animals have instincts. I wonder how they know how to suckle???You don't have to have your baby rolling around in blankets there are special bassinets you can buy for co-sleeping.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• For us, those swaddler blankets helped a lot. the ones with velcro. We thought our daughter hated being swaddled, and then at 8 weeks we tried again and it went great. What probably wakes him up is the little jerking that can happen after awhile, so the swaddling blanket helps them feel cozy like in your arms (well, almost). Then, once they're about 4 months old it's a good idea to get them used to soothing themselves to sleep so that when they wake up briefly after 20 minutes (normal in sleep cycle) they don't get fully roused and can doze off again. For that you need to put them into the bed not already asleep. For our daughter, we got her into a routine (bath, nurse, book, song in the dark, into bed) around 5 1/2 months and she just lies there and babbles for a few minutes before going right to sleep for many, many hours (most nights). Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Same problem here....my son sleeps great if he is nestled beside me in my or daddy's arms, but don't dare try to lay him in his crib he wakes straight up stands up and cries till you go back and get him. I don't know what to do either, I love sleeping with him though and have chalked it up to he just feels more comfortable in my bed. He doesn't have seperation anxiety when he goes to daycare and unless he doesn't feel good he doesn't mind being held by others if they get to know him first. Hopefully you'll get good answers and we'll bothe know.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 3:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2009