How do I get rid of the little bumps and dryness/redness that are on the back of my arms?

I've had the issue for a while and even though I exfoliate and moisturize nothing has helped. I'm purchasing something that is taken orally that benefits skin cells, etc... But I also want to know if there are any methods or skin care regimens that will help also. Thanks!!

AmandaI1021

Asked by AmandaI1021 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Does it look like this?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris

I have this condition, a tiny bit on my arms and mainly on my legs (upper thighs). I have found that using hypoallergenic and mild skin car products helps, as well as keeping it moisturized. My son also has it (on his back and arms mainly) and I have kept it well under control with careful skin care; he uses California Baby natural shampoo, conditioner, and body wash, and Burts Bees bath oil. The cheap body washes and shampoos and things make it worse.. so I have used to natural brands for over a year now and his skin looks great. Hope this helps.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I had this really bad after my daughter as born, I went to my regular doctor and a dermatologist. The derm recommended that I moisturize like crazy all the time. I did and it it took weeks but all of a sudden they were all gone, I don't have one red mark on my arm.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Thanks. I use the natural/hypoallergenic products anyway b/c I'm allergic to most fragrances. I have hypersensitivity to smell and I have sensitive skin. I'll check out that web address right away.
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Yeah, that's what it looks like. Thanks for the article. So what I'll do then is continue to exfoliate when bathing, moisturize after bathing and at least twice more throughout the day. I may try the thing with the peeling treatment like once a week. I'll probably buy a good cream that has the Retin-A in it.
    Thanks so much for that article!
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You are welcome. Glad the article helped. Try the Burts Bees bath oil if you want, it is a great moisturizer and smells really good.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Try Arbonne products, they are botanically based, hypellergenic, do not contain mineral oil, animal products/by-products (we are vegan certified).

My son had small bumps all over his body when he was a baby, the baby wash and lotion really helped him. Make sure you are using a good wash as well. Many leave stuff behind on skin. Look at the new FC5 line. I love it!!

www.marywozniak.myarbonne.com
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 5:18 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• This is a pretty common problem. Avon makes an amazing product made just for this condition called MOISTURE THERAPY Skin Bump Minimizer its on sale for $3.99 right now and has a clean smell to it too so you can wear it any time of day. I have several customers who are in love with this product and purchase it often. The bottle is pretty big and will last you quite a while too! www.youravon.com/dhullum if you purchase through my site you can get free shipping with code fsany ! GL!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 6:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I used the ST Ive's apricot scrub and they went away.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:55 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I've tried that scrub before and the like. Nothing happened. I do notice when I exfoliate and moisturize, it does look better. I just have to do it on a regular basis.
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 2:48 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I've had the same thing for probabaly 15-20 years, done the exfoiliating, creams that claim to help (including that Avon skim bump lotion mentioned...it came out when I sold Avon) none have gotten rid of it. Though in the warmer months when my upper arms are exposed I usualy wear self tanner anyway and this reduces it's appearance for me....and gives me a non-cancer causing tan =)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 13, 2009