My husband's bad mood is rubbing off on me.

I'm not sure if this is a question but rather maybe some advice needed...my husband is the kind of person that will work his butt off at work while usually a lot of the other guys do the bare minimum, my husb takes pride in his work and I admire his work ethic, but it seems like we (his family) are the ones suffering..? He has A LOT on his plate work and school at night...am I being selfish in feeling lonely? What can I do to just get through it, I have been accomidating him for the past few weeks only and neglecting any lonely feelings I need to share...what advice can you give me please please? Thanks ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I hear you. All you can do right now is to love him and help him any way that you can. The school won't last forever. I had to tell my husband a number of years ago that I felt he was doing too much at work and it was affecting our family life and affecting him, moreover. I pointed out bad judgment calls that he'd made and how it was affecting the family. I asked him to either cut back some of the extra hours he put in at work or come to see a counselor with me. This little talk got him to thinking and he did cut back a bit, and his mood improved. If he is suffering from all the stress, then perhaps a similar talk with your husband could work. You don't want him to stop school if he can possibly continue it, since it would be hard for him to ever resume it. If he can't cut back at work, see if he can let some home responsibilities go, anything to lighten his stress. You are a good woman, a good wife, to be concerned.

Answer by Bmat at 3:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Is taking a small vacation or just taking a whole day and getting away together an option? Seems like he needs a change of scenery and get away from the stresses of work for a bit. It may be too much for him and a small getaway may help him and your whole family out as well. Life is so short and sometimes we get hung up in the fast pace of it.
    sunkiss456

Answer by sunkiss456 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Remember that this is temporary. He won't always be going to school and working. Also remember that the whole family will benefit from his being successful, and that will remind you to encourage him. Ask him every day what you can do to take off some of the pressure that's on him. There may be nothing, but he will appreciate that you asked. He probably doesn't like the way things are right now either. So encourage him that it will soon be over. Think about and plan some fun way to celebrate when it is. If you are lonely and have no friends to ask over, go to a local retirement home, ask the staff which patients have few or no visitors. Go to visit one of them. All you will have to do is introduce yourself and be prepared to listen. There's something exceedingly therapeutic about bringing happiness to another person. It will dispell loneliness and depression like nothing else I know.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2009