• In the Spotlight:

Am I the only military wife...

Am I the only military wife exasperated with the difficulty of making a doctor's appt for my kid?

If ur a military spouse, u go thru the TriCare appt line 2 make MD appts. I am trying 2 b a responsible adult/parent & make my child's 12 month appt sooner than later.

My baby girl turns 1 at the end of March. I've been calling since Feb 2 get her in 2 see her on-post primary care provider (whom my family is very fond of).

The 1st 2 times in Feb, they told me they can't make an appt so far in advance & to call back next week. The 3rd time they said there were no avail appts with our preferred provider & to try back. During my 4th call the girl told me not 2 get too attached 2 any of my kids providers because "ur doctor could deploy or ur family may have to relocate" (like I'm an idiot and I don't know this).

2day they said call back

How can our MD be booked if the TriCare appt system is weekly & I call every week?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• There is no way to get appts off base? We have tricare but, are NG so, I see our local pediatrician that accepts tricare. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Thats weird. Well you're doing your part as far as calling every week. Is there anyway you can find a new doctor? Yea its not fun having to switch all that stuff (been there) but at least your child would get an appointment. I would call tricare or go on their website and see if you can find another doctor.
    Anonymous

• In response to a couple of answers...we cannot make scheduled appointments, like check-ups, off post...only same day or next day appointments...And, yes, I could ask for another doctor...but, if I called to schedule a second visit with that guy, I'd be in the same boat.

I've never seen the same doctor twice in the three years that we've been stationed here. I'm trying to keep this from happening to my kids.

Thanks for the answers ladies.
    Anonymous

• yes I hate Tricare. When my youngest was born we put her as standard and went off base with her. Why? Well her 2 week well baby appointment was scheduled for 7 weeks after she was born. That was the first available appointment. My oldest kids were always family practice and no ped. cause ped never ever had openings.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Since my hubby is active we had the choice of prime or standard and I chose standard so I didn't have to have a PCM.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2009