my son is overweight?!!

im on WIC with my son and i took him for his 2yr check up type of thing, and they weighed him and said he was a little overweight. not like obese or anything, but he was in the higher percentile for kids his age. but he's also in the higher percentile for his height too. i thought i was doing everything right, and now this makes me think im doing things wrong. i don't give him fast food, or lots of sugar and try to make everything healthy. i used to feed him right before bed but now i moved his feeding time to an hour before bed so what am i doing wrong?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 3:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• WIC uses the BMI system to see if kids are overweight, on track, or underweight. The thing is the BMI system was NEVER meant to be used on kids. From your pics on your profile, your son seems to be a good healthy weight. Keep up the good job, mamma!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I woudn't take what they said too seriously if you don't see a problem starting. My friend went through the same thing with her 2 yr old and his doctor. Her son was skinnier than mine i think but the doc said he was alittle over weight. He's tall though so that has to factor into the weight thing. My son is two and a half and at his last appointment he weighed 31.6 pounds and was 36 and 3/4 inches. They said he's in the 75th percentile for his age. Was wondering what your son weighed. I deff. wouldn't stress though and I'm sur your doing things right mamma. You fed him, he's still breathing, you didn't loose him???.............I think he's fine :)
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i ouldnt take what they say to heart. my daughter is 18 months in the 95th percentile for her weight and 85th for her height. the dr said that it is perfictly healthy.
    vampire2007

Answer by vampire2007 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• wic is dumb! those people dont know what they are talking about. they told me i was over feeding my baby. so i cut down on what i would feed him and he was a crying pain in the butt baby. so i went to the doctor and she told me give him what he wants he will stop when he is full. she is said wic office people are dumb
    Anonymous

• DO NOT LISTEN TO WIC.

He is tall and heavy for the AVERAGE kid his age. If he was average height and at the top of the chart for his weight, then MAYBE there would be something to think about. No...he's FINE.

They are not the ones with the PhD. Listen to your doctor. Tell your doctor what they told you...he could probably use a good laugh!!

Do NOT take anything they say too seriously. Do your recerts as you need to, get your checks to help keep good food on the table for you son. Ignore anything else they say.

The people here told me that I was giving my oldest son heart disease because I wouldn't switch him to 1% milk (he was on 2% per his doctor)!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• wow i had no idea. thanks for all the advice!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 7:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Talk to you doctor.. they will tell you not to listen to the WIC nutritionist. They think they know everything & while your doctor is telling you that your son is growing perfectly, WIC will tell you he's chubby! It's ridiculous! I know from experience and the doctor got soo mad. She told me to ignore them & that my son is so tall and his weight is proportionate to it.

Really, don't let them bother you!
    Anonymous

• Don't freak out about what the WIC office says. I'm on it too and they like to tell me my daughter is too short. ?? Like, am I supposed to be making her taller?

He's just taller and weighs a bit more than children his age, it's no big deal. Your doctor can tell you if your baby is in danger of anything at all.

Also with WIC one requirement you don't normally hear of is that there has to be some sort of health problem. So they normally make something up...If they want to believe your son is overweight so you can keep getting vouchers, let them.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 11:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Your child is fine. Every kid is different after all. It makes sense to me that if he is tall for his age that he would weigh more too. Can't they see that?
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2009